North American Turbocoupe Organization

Head Porting Questions searched
charles88tc Offline
I have the head that was removed from my tc at 222,000 miles, valve seals were shot, cam was worn out. I had to have the car as it was my daily driver. So I pulled one at the boneyard, sent it to the machine shop for inspection. And put on. So I have the core, and my dad who has built everything from a 486 hp nissan 4cylinder for a road race guy in about 86 or 87 to all aluminum 410's for world of outlaw sprint cars to a 486 twin 750 holley nitrous injected jet boats, to do some porting. He said no problem, he just has never ported a 2.3 head, so this is what he tells me (exact words)"He needs to know how much meat he has around the intake and exaust ports before he finds water, also what is needed or if it would be beneficial or possible to install bigger valves given the benefits of a good port job and cam application". The set up of the motor I want to build is stock 2300 crank, 5.7 chevy rods with oil squirters good forged low compression pistons, and a roller of somekind, holset or good t3/t4 hybrid, still unsure of cam shaft but roller for sure. I want to do something that will be more strip/weekend car than daily driver as I am getting a motor in my explorer to use for daily use. If any other info is needed let me know, if I dont know my dad would, hes just a phone call away.
88 tc 5sp, Gillis, K&N on vam, Redneck cat back exaust (nothing from the cat back) 220,000 mile short block. Rebuilt 86 head and cam.

40bob Offline
40bob doesn't do heads.. There is a thread on TF that has section pix of the 2.3 head. You'll have to search cause I don't know where it is located. I can tell you water is easy to find if you don't know what your doing.

charles88tc Offline
Thanks, Ill try to Find that pic at TF`. For some reason I thought you did heads too. OOPS I guess my perscription cough syrup, and the computer do not go together. But Yeah my dad has told me about having to fix some of my uncles mistakes, when the uncle had been doing head work, for a few years, and he just started.
They did mostly v8 chevy stuff.
88 tc 5sp, Gillis, K&N on vam, Redneck cat back exaust (nothing from the cat back) 220,000 mile short block. Rebuilt 86 head and cam.

Gulfdiver Offline
Just from my research on this topic.. if you haven't ported a 2.3 head.. you probably don't want to practice on it.. They def. have their quirks and you can actually make a good flowing head worse by porting if you don't know the ins and outs.. do a search and you'll get specifics..
!!!!! MINE ALL MINE !!!!!
1988 TBird Turbo Coupe Mach 1 Special Edition
K&N airfilter; Spec Stage 3.. More mods to come!

charles88tc Offline
That is why I am not going to attempt. I only trust a few people to work on my junk, My dad is one of the only ones I trust, just by his track record. I remember things hes done that would amaze you, that he himself doesnt remember. I rerember him sitting at the bench after work, doing a set of 302 heads for a neighbor, when they eventually, got the motor together (stock 302 short block for 8? f150) That had blown a head gasket, guy wanted him to do a good port job on them. It took him about a month of spare time, after they were put on the guy was so amazed at the difference it made. All my dad could say was "this aint the first set of heads Ive ever ported".