North American Turbocoupe Organization

Power Brake System
89gted Offline
It has been some time since I was on here.  I have finally worked up the determination to get my t-bird back as a daily driver.  I have a two stage first project.  I am going to replace that Teves brake system with a power brake system, and install the two pedal bracket for brake & clutch pedals.  I'm finally going to get rid of that automatic trans.  I have read the tech article on here about the brake changeover several times, and it still leaves me with questions.  What I am looking at is the Cardone 54-7400 power brake booster.  It was one of two listed for the 88 mustang.  It is the shorter of the two, and the form would allow wiring to run behind it with ease.  My only question is about the down turned push rod, and if that would be a problem.  My other question has to do with the master cylinder.  Do I need a two or three port model.  I'm not changing the original disk brakes.  Appreciate any help you guys can give me.
[Image: th_TC016-PaintShiney.jpg]

Another proud dues paying member.

88TC, 210K, Black/Raven, Auto (may change), 140 speedo (by Jeff K), trip computer, 3G, cold air K&N, improved IVR, new AC system, new windshield & 360 tint, new sensatracs all around, interior cleaned up like new, now for the outside....

anasazi4st Offline
(05-07-2019, 07:23 PM)89gted Wrote: It has been some time since I was on here.  I have finally worked up the determination to get my t-bird back as a daily driver.  I have a two stage first project.  I am going to replace that Teves brake system with a power brake system, and install the two pedal bracket for brake & clutch pedals.  I'm finally going to get rid of that automatic trans.  I have read the tech article on here about the brake changeover several times, and it still leaves me with questions.  What I am looking at is the Cardone 54-7400 power brake booster.  It was one of two listed for the 88 mustang.  It is the shorter of the two, and the form would allow wiring to run behind it with ease.  My only question is about the down turned push rod, and if that would be a problem.  My other question has to do with the master cylinder.  Do I need a two or three port model.  I'm not changing the original disk brakes.  Appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Although you are certainly within your rights to replace the Teves, might I ask why?

It’s actually a pretty good system for what amounts to a Beta ABS test unit (as one of the early ones), and I’ll be the first to say that they do fail (I’ve been through several). Ford listed replacements at $1600 when they were available, I’d never pay that for one (although I did pay $600 for one from a salvage yard in Las Vegas in 1996). EBay often lists complete units for around $150, although they are used (so caveat emptor—let the buyer beware).

It just seems like the switchover is going to cause you potentially more problems that a replacement could be. I know many here have done so successfully...but to me it seems like a lot of extra work compared with what you’ll end up with.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

89gted Offline
(05-08-2019, 09:37 AM)anasazi4st Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 07:23 PM)89gted Wrote: It has been some time since I was on here.  I have finally worked up the determination to get my t-bird back as a daily driver.  I have a two stage first project.  I am going to replace that Teves brake system with a power brake system, and install the two pedal bracket for brake & clutch pedals.  I'm finally going to get rid of that automatic trans.  I have read the tech article on here about the brake changeover several times, and it still leaves me with questions.  What I am looking at is the Cardone 54-7400 power brake booster.  It was one of two listed for the 88 mustang.  It is the shorter of the two, and the form would allow wiring to run behind it with ease.  My only question is about the down turned push rod, and if that would be a problem.  My other question has to do with the master cylinder.  Do I need a two or three port model.  I'm not changing the original disk brakes.  Appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Although you are certainly within your rights to replace the Teves, might I ask why?

It’s actually a pretty good system for what amounts to a Beta ABS test unit (as one of the early ones), and I’ll be the first to say that they do fail (I’ve been through several). Ford listed replacements at $1600 when they were available, I’d never pay that for one (although I did pay $600 for one from a salvage yard in Las Vegas in 1996). EBay often lists complete units for around $150, although they are used (so caveat emptor—let the buyer beware).

It just seems like the switchover is going to cause you potentially more problems that a replacement could be. I know many here have done so successfully...but to me it seems like a lot of extra work compared with what you’ll end up with.
This is the 3rd one I've put in the car.  I have tried all of the trouble shooting items listed on the site and in the manuals with no success.  I also have two used units in storage, and I am not going to bother trying them.  Changing to the power brake system should prove to be more reliable over the long haul.  I am nearing 75 yrs old.  I don't drive my vehicles hard, so I'm not worried about panic stops.  I have a rebuilt engine & 5 speed & rear end that will be going in the car, so I hope for it to be my last ride until the end.
[Image: th_TC016-PaintShiney.jpg]

Another proud dues paying member.

88TC, 210K, Black/Raven, Auto (may change), 140 speedo (by Jeff K), trip computer, 3G, cold air K&N, improved IVR, new AC system, new windshield & 360 tint, new sensatracs all around, interior cleaned up like new, now for the outside....

anasazi4st Offline
(05-08-2019, 06:17 PM)89gted Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 09:37 AM)anasazi4st Wrote:

This is the 3rd one I've put in the car.  I have tried all of the trouble shooting items listed on the site and in the manuals with no success.  I also have two used units in storage, and I am not going to bother trying them.  Changing to the power brake system should prove to be more reliable over the long haul.  I am nearing 75 yrs old.  I don't drive my vehicles hard, so I'm not worried about panic stops.  I have a rebuilt engine & 5 speed & rear end that will be going in the car, so I hope for it to be my last ride until the end.

Thanks for your response. That makes perfect sense to me, and kudos for your well-thought-out approach. 

Would you have any thought to selling the other units? Like you, I already have two used ones in storage, so I doubt I would have any interest; but certainly others might.

Good luck with your project.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....