North American Turbocoupe Organization

How to set TDC?
cdkes Offline
It turns out that my oil leak and white smoke exhaust seem to be a blown headgasket. So I'm attempting to use the Tech Article to replace it and I'm stuck on the first step. :/ I really don't understand timing at all and my Chilton's is no help. I don't know how to set TDC or what pulley to turn or anything like that. I'm hoping someone could give me a quick run-down so I can get through this?

Currently I have the intake, intercooler, valve cover, alternator, alternator bracket, alternator belt, and radiator hose off, with the coolant having been drained.

SteveX82 Offline
Posting Freak
Use a socket wrench to turn the crank pulley (the big pully on the bottom / middle of the engine) clockwise until the tiny little notch on the outside ridge of the pulley lines up with the TDC mark on the timing cover ***AND*** the notch on the cam pulley lines up around the middle of the 3 pointers just below the cam pulley. If it's 180º off, just turn the crank pulley another full revolution.

------------------
Estoril blue 1987 TC 5spd, 146k miles, a237, Bailey BOV, spec stg3 clutch, spearco FMIC, t3/t4 50 trim / stage III .63, 3" exhaust, eec-tuner, lm1 wb, 55pph injectors
Best 1/4 mile: 12.89 @ 106mph on 25psi, 1.78 60'
Estoril blue 1987 TC 5spd, 148k mi, a237, Bailey BOV, spec stg3 clutch, spearco FMIC, 50 trim t3/t4, 3" exhaust, Bamafuel, LM1, 55pph
Best 1/4 mile: 12.31 @ 110mph on 25psi

Joe F Offline
Posting Freak
Important note: take out the spark plugs; it'll be deucedly difficult to turn over otherwise. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Also, heres a link to a procedure to set your TDC dead on if you want to go to a little more trouble. It's written for an 8 cylinder but the principles are the same, just don't turn our engines over backwards - I have heard that that can cause the timing belt to jump a tooth.

------------------
Joe F.

JR's Place - My 87 TC
JR's Place - My '87 Turbocoupe