North American Turbocoupe Organization

head issues
bigep74 Offline
UGGGH I just got back from my machine shop and my head is trashed off of my 1987 thunderbird turbo coupe. apparently whoever built the engine used a jegs head or one that has been reworked several times and it is a mess. Does anyone know if a head from a 1982 2.3 ltr non turbo engine will work ?

Entropy1988 Offline
I believe a ranger 2.3 head may work for you.  I don't know its a D port type or not but i have heard of people using them.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Check the casting numbers. If the head is a D9xx-......... it will work fine and has the exact same chamber design as the original TC head. It is an oval port head, but you can use a die grinder to port match the D shaped intake manifold ports to mate with the oval port head. Be sure to use the Inconel exhaust valves from your current head. Depending on the exact head you may have to drill / tap one hole in the head to mate up with your current intake manifold.

I have had a "D9" head on my TC for 20 years. Mine had the sometimes missing threaded hole for the intake bolt, so all I had to do was some port matching on the intake.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

fred k Offline
(06-29-2018, 09:26 PM)bigep74 Wrote: UGGGH I just got back from my machine shop and my head is trashed off of my 1987 thunderbird turbo coupe. apparently whoever built the engine used a jegs head or one that has been reworked several times and it is a mess.  Does anyone know if a head from a 1982 2.3 ltr non turbo engine will work ?
I may be able to help you out.  I have several TCs at a property in York, headed there tomorrow.  These are original unmolested TCs and the head would best sent to a machine
shop to clean it up and check it out.  I live in Williamsport now and if you're interested I will check it out.  I'd say $200 (sold 2 at Carlisle and the labor to get them off was about that Smile ) 

and I'm thinking meet at where 80 and 81 meet.  It may take me a week or 2 to get it off and arrange to meet you.  Let me know.  Fred
fred l kennedy