North American Turbocoupe Organization

Starter Replacement
atengnr Offline
Hello, what is the easiest access to the starter wiring (from underneath or from above??

I am replacing the starter and am looking for a few tips to make the change out easier.

Thanks alot. The car is an 88 turbocoupe, automatic.

5.0TurboCoupe1988 Offline
Posting Freak
underneath. if i recall correctly, you'll need to remove one bolt and loosen the other on the k-member brace to swing it out of the way.
1988 TC 2.3/5-Speed, 148K

AllAboutCars101 Offline
i actually removed mine to get to a water line to the turbo. didnt remove the whole thing, but its not hard to take off the bolts. shouldnt be too tough, under the car is the way to go. i thankfully, have access to a lift Smile
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
1987 Turbo Coupe-sold to 85UglyBird
1988 Turbo Coupe-Daily Driver
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/...1312-1.jpg

T-BirdX3 Offline
Easy job. And as everyone else stated from underneath is the only way to go. It is also a good idea to at least loosen the bolt holding the starter wire before removing the starter bolts.
'88 T-Coupe 5 speed/'88 T-Coupe Auto
'87 T-Coupe 5 speed/'87 T-coupe 5 speed(76k orig mile)
..... and there was light!
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee36...tled-2.jpg

atengnr Offline
Thanks all.

RDOG Offline
Posting Freak
I went to APPEX in vegas this weekend and they had these real nice 90* cable connectors. I might use one next time I do a starter job. Makes it easier to install the + wire. Also I'm considering doing a ranger small starter. Anyone else do a ranger swap yet?
1986 Turbo Coupe. Boport StageIII head, Boport 2.1, Performance Techniques 50 trim hybird, StageII.63, stinger 3" exhaust, Phenolic spacer, Boglog header,NPR FMIC intercooler setup, kirban fpr, bigrmotorsports fuel rail, diablo water meth kit, CAI, remote mount TFI, CHE rear adj control arms, MAC girdle, 8.8 rear disc, aluminum drive shaft, H&R lowerings springs Tbird Turbo Specific, y MAS!!

boosted chicken Offline
I went to the mini starter from a 1993 2.3 Mustang. One extra wire to run but well worth it. Much lighter than the TC starter.
88 TC#1 2.9L tall deck. Essy SVO head, Boport header, BW SX369 turbo, C4 trans, MS2xtra
88 TC#2 drag car project(someday)
88 TC#3 parts car (just needed the header panel...bought the whole car, lol)