North American Turbocoupe Organization

My Gnari Turbo Kit
John B Offline
I wanted to give an initial review of the gnari turbo kit I just purchased.

Out of the box, the quality is outstanding. Everything from the finish on the manifold to the welding on the downpipe is great. I'm very impressed.

This kit comes with a ton of stuff: GN35R turbo, new cast manifold with external wastegate provision, 38mm external wastegate, downpipe, wastegate burn pipe, hardware for plumbing including oil feed line and water lines, manual boost controller, and gaskets. The entire kit also comes with their FMIC kit but I asked them to prorate the kit as I already have a FMIC.

From talking with Gnari reps, the turbo has parts from multiple manufacturers including a ball bearing compressor. The compressor is a .70 A/R - 82mm wheel with a .63 A/R - 68ish mm turbine. Compressor map shows good efficiency up to 25 psi which is good for roughly 500 hp. Turbine has a t3 flange with a 4 bolt discharge.

Unfortuantely, I have to wait to install this kit as I do all work on my car in my driveway and Jersey is an icebox right now. The plan is to run this kit with a pimpx ecu, upgraded fuel system, and clutch for a goal of 350 whp. I'm going to attach some pics of the hardware in the next post.
88 Turbo Coupe: Front mount intercooler, MGW short throw shifter, full coilover conversion, tubular control arms front and rear, svo front brakes, vacuum assist brake swap, manual steering swap, GT35R turbo with external gate, pimpx ecu, 60lb injectors, 3 core aluminum radiator, Boport 1.5 cam, gutted upper, corbeau fixed back seats, and the list goes on.

John B Offline
Edited for pics of the hardware

Attached Files Image(s)

88 Turbo Coupe: Front mount intercooler, MGW short throw shifter, full coilover conversion, tubular control arms front and rear, svo front brakes, vacuum assist brake swap, manual steering swap, GT35R turbo with external gate, pimpx ecu, 60lb injectors, 3 core aluminum radiator, Boport 1.5 cam, gutted upper, corbeau fixed back seats, and the list goes on.

MortifydPenguin Offline
Keep us updated on this. I am really interested in this kit.

Mikey97D Offline
Looking forward to your install and pictures. Since you already have the front mounted intercooler I guess you are all set for this step (I was poking around the Gnari website).

Did you get to drive your car much with the suspension upgrade?
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

John B Offline
Mikey97D Wrote:Looking forward to your install and pictures. Since you already have the front mounted intercooler I guess you are all set for this step (I was poking around the Gnari website).

Did you get to drive your car much with the suspension upgrade?

Yes I did actually; the new coilover setup is outstanding. Granted, I don't have a fair comparison because all of the stock hardware I took out was one bad dump away from falling apart but the handling now is unbelievable. Feels like she's on rails going around corners.

As for the turbo kit; I'm currently in the process of installing it now. I decided to install the spec stage 3+ clutch first so that took some time and weather here in Jersey hasn't been great the last few weeks. I was impressed with the components upon unboxing but now that I'm installing everything, it appears that certain pieces will need massaging to fit. I'm going to have a full write up with pictures when it's completed. Also, I have a PimpX ecu to go with it all so this should be fun

Cleven Offline
Have you installed it yet?

John B Offline
Yes, been on the car for a little over three years now. The kit is great in my opinion. I did go with a different external wastegate as the one that comes with the kit is huge. It works but it's a bigger piece. I also am using a slightly different turbo so I made custom oil and water lines for that. I also ported out the gnari manifold to get it to flow better. I have no complaints with the kit

Cleven Offline
(12-26-2021, 01:54 PM)John B Wrote: Yes, been on the car for a little over three years now. The kit is great in my opinion. I did go with a different external wastegate as the one that comes with the kit is huge. It works but it's a bigger piece. I also am using a slightly different turbo so I made custom oil and water lines for that. I also ported out the gnari manifold to get it to flow better. I have no complaints with the kit
I love how it comes with most of the stuff you need. I just love the stock intercooler design and find my self on 50/50 on ditching it lol.

88 Turbo Coupe Offline
That is fantastic! Be great to see photos of the install.
88 TC
5 Speed
Custom 2.75" stainless steel mandrel exhaust, cross drilled rotors (KVR), 245 50 ZR Eagle F1 GS-D3 (front & rear). This tire works amazing with the PRC. Wet or Dry! Lowered 1.75 inches