North American Turbocoupe Organization

speaker
atg87tc Offline
i just replaced the door speakers on my 87tc with 6 1/2 inch pioneers. this required a few extra holes to be drilled because i guess the stock speaker werent 6 1/2's, even though that is what i was told at circuit city. before i go and ask them again, i was wondering if anyone here could tell me what size the rear speaker and dash speakers are. i dont trust what circuit city says anymore. thank you

------------------
87tc-k&n, glasspacks, 5speed
88tc-5.0 conversion. 450rwhp 12.3@ 122
99mustang cobra-stock

Keith Pellerito Offline
THE FACTORY SIZE IN THE BACK ARE 5x7, PUT 6x9s IN, THEY WILL SOUND MUCH BETTER. THE FRONTS WILL FIT 4 INCH, PUT EITHER 3 1/2s OR 4s DEPENDING UPON YOUR PREFERENCE.
yeah it is fast, just a little slow getting back to the garage!🚓

atg87tc Offline
the rears are 5X7, so how difficult is it to fit 6X9's back there? do i have to cut stuff out, or jus drill a few new holes?

------------------
99mustang cobra-stock

Walsted Offline
Posting Freak
I had always thought dash were 3 1/2, door were 6 1/2, and rear were 6x8, all with proprietary wire connectors, meaning that you couldn't just remove the old one and insert a new after market speaker without an adapter or wire cutting. I could be wrong, though.
Mike Walsted - Sold my 1986 5-speed TurboCoupe

Keith Pellerito Offline
You do not have to cut anything, just push the flares up that hold your current speakers in place and just screw the 6x9s in--very easy. Do not worry about the wiring, all you have to do is if you have premium sound back there, you will have 4 wires going into the plug that goes into your factory harness, you eed only 2 of those wires, just choose which ones you want--just make sure you get one with a stripe and one without--if you do not get it, let me know and I will go out to my car tomorrow and look which colors I have hooked up on mine--I remember playing with the wires a couple different times to get what sounds best--let me know if you dont get it.

atg87tc Offline
ok thanks, when i hooked up the door speaker, there were 4 wires and they all were hooked into a clip. i cut the clip off, and just twisted the two wires with the stripe together, and the 2 wires without the stripe. they are working fine now. now with the 6x9's i wont be able to keep the stock speaker grille will i? its ok, im just wondering if i need to buy speakers with a grill

------------------
99mustang cobra-stock

Keith Pellerito Offline
You do not need to worry about losing the grill, it should go underneath the existing one since it is inside the trunk. And I actually do think that I did my wires the same way--

PetzJC Offline
If you do not like/trust Circuit City (I don't), go through Crutchfield out of Charlottesville, VA. They are awesome. They even include speaker connector adapters for whatever car the speakers are going into....no cutting/soldering or anything. Their number is: (888)955-6000, or www.crutchfield.com

------------------
88 Silver T/C, original owner, 256,000 miles.
Loaded with everything except leather & auto trans.
K&N, Gillis, SVO roller #1, big SS valves, ported intake, head, & exhaust.
Bottom end & turbo original/untouched.
Polyurethane bushings throughout, Goodyear GT-HR 235/55R16's.
Former owner of 88 Silver T/C, loaded (except leather & A/T), original owner, 294,815 miles!!!
K&N, Gillis(18 psi), SVO roller #1, big SS valves, ported intake, head, & exhaust.
Short block & turbo original/untouched, spec-II/III clutch combo.
Polyurethane bushings throughout, Goodyear GT-HR 235/55R16

atg87tc Offline
ok thanks, now are there any suggestions on speakers? i put some pioneers in the door, they were $50 a pair. these speakers are ok, but id kinda like to put infinity's in the back. are there any other speakers that someone would suggest?

------------------
99mustang cobra-stock

Lx-tasy Offline
Audiobahns are really good speakers.They are pretty cheap too.Just watch what series ya get.
Chris