North American Turbocoupe Organization

1987-88 Turbo Coupe Power Antenna Parts
anasazi4st Offline
(Also posted in the Discussion Forum.)

I'm looking for a replacement antenna/mast assembly for a 87-88 TC with a power antenna. Most everywhere--when they have them--it's from 1989-90 on. (AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilly's, Rock Auto, etc.) The parts guy at a local Ford dealership said "obsolete." (No kidding, really? :rotfl: )

I'd like to keep it as stock as possible, so no Universal kits, etc. Plain and simple: mast and plastic toothed "cord" to replace my broken one.

TIA.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

anasazi4st Offline
I was looking through the various Forums here and saw that I had posted this a couple of years ago (just above: WANTED power antenna mast and threaded cord for an 87 TC). I wanted to provide an update as to how I fixed it, for future reference if anyone else needed help.

Advance Auto Parts has part #44-PWR22 by Metra Electronics for $24.99. (I have verified that it is still available, as of this writing.) It's pretty much a direct fit (I say "pretty much" because you won't be able to install the inner collar, there isn't enough clearance as this shaft is a bit thicker than the OEM one). It is a multi-segmented one like the original (obviously).

Some backstory: After my first post above I searched the Internet and found the above one, which looked like it could work. After a long conversation with a parts operator from the website, who assured me it was a direct fit, I ordered it. Then it sat for almost a year until I finally had the time to install it, thinking it could turn out to be a major chore. It really wasn't.

I've run the mast up and down numerous times since then with no issues. The threaded cord is a bit longer than the OEM one, so I am hesitant to run it out to its end...but the tooth count per inch seems to be the same, so no problems there.

I hope this is of some help to anyone who wants to keep their TC as stock as possible.

(NOTE: I edited this post to remove the odd fonts that made it hard to read.)
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

spittinfire Offline
This is exactly what I needed. Took me a little while to find it but I'm glad I did. My antenna broke and I found a working one but the antenna itself was kind of tweaked so when it was up it wasn't straight and I couldn't stand it.