North American Turbocoupe Organization

Are all TC power radio antennas the same?
evintho Offline
Are the power radio antennas all the same from '83-'88, or are the early birds different? What about regular T-Birds? Are they all interchangeable??
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5

1986 Turbocoupe 5-spd - New daily driver!
1988 Turbocoupe 5-spd - parts car.
1989 Mustang convertible (Thunderstang). Built '88 TC shortblock, head by Boport, R/R, T3, Bobs log, gutted, rotated, ported mannys, AFPR, LA3, NPR I/C, etc.
Check out Thunderstang!

AerobirdMotorsports Offline
Banned
87-88 TBirds/Cougars/TC's all share the same antenna. The only difference is blacked out or chrome coatings (Blacked on the TC, XR7, 20th Anny, Sport's). I haven't seen a 83-86 with power antenna yet, so I don't know about that.

turbobird63 Offline
I just adapted an aftermarket one to my 85. So I dont see why you wouldnt be able to use it from a later bird.
Christopher Taylor
85 TC, 2.3l, LA3, T3/T4 Turbo 25psi, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Esslinger crank pulley- Timing Gears and overdrive WP pulley, BBK 255lph FP, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Shifter, K&N Cone, 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, Welded SFC's, and TON's of other parts.

whoever Offline
i have a 87 i got my ant. out of another 87 and had to adapt it to work on my car figure that one out
01 DODGE DAKOTA 68 GALAXIE 500 FASTBACK 87 TURBO COUPE 89 Lincoln LSC

Walsted Offline
Posting Freak
I had an 88 in my 86; now I have one that is partly from a 90 Mark VII and partly from the 88. The part that usually breaks is the nylon piece inside that extends and retracts the antenna. The Mark VII antenna is four section vice three section, and retracts further.

Hope this helps.
Mike Walsted - Sold my 1986 5-speed TurboCoupe

t-bird88 Offline
FWIW, my 85 had an electric antenna. But then damn thing broke off down inside. I just wound up putting a small hose clamp on the bottom of the antenna just to hold it in the hole so the radio would pick up stations.

Jim B Big Grin .
Gunmetal Grey 88 TC!!!!

bryanb Offline
I have an '88 TC. My antenna failed during the winter; the gears stripped out during a freeze.

Went to the junk yard and the only power antenna I could find was on a '86 TC.

It fit, but IIRC, it was slightly bigger tube that it slid into, and the motor was bigger. So I had to make some bends in the bracket to get it to mount.
Bryan Berndt
bryanb at bryanb.net
1988 Turbo Coupe, Automatic, all options except leather and sunroof
Cat back dual exhausts, No Muffler.

AndyR Offline
My '86 has a power anteanna.
Mast is broke. Motor runs but mast doesn't move.

Called the ford dealership up the road and to the parts guy's surprise and mine, they can still get it.

$63

bout the same price for the mast on my '96.
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.

DonH Offline
Posting Freak
There are two types of electric antennas in the 80s. The first type has a smooth nylon extension coil and the second has teeth in the coil that fit into the teeth in the mechanism. The second type can be replaced by using a replacement mast for 97-92 Lincolns and Mercurys NAPA #730-4883. This is four section mast rather than three and retracts into the tube between 1 and 3 inches. You have to take the antenna apart to replace the mast as the broken nylon must be removed. Before inserting the nylon into the mechanism place a piece of plastic tubing larger than the nylon and smaller than the bottom section of the mast over the nylon to serve as a stop when the antenna retracts. Cut this to length equal to the distance the mast retracts into the antenna tube so as to place the top of the antenna slightly above the hole in the tube when retracted rather than down in the hole. This is easier than it sounds and will be obvious when the antenna is taken apart.
1987 TC stock except ATR 2.5"
1983 Pontiac Transam T-top 5.7 T56 [email protected] top speed: 176mph
1978 Fairmont 2.3 4-spd Big-top S/W
1946 Willys CJ2A 134.2ci L4 No-top