North American Turbocoupe Organization

Big Problems!
Chad88TC Offline
Alright, I got a RR regrind from Barry at turboford. It is a 220/220 .415 lift with a lsa of 114. I put it in shimmed the lifters, I've got .035-.043 gap between the follower and cam heel, so it should be alright. Problems are 12" of vacuum, erratic idle, check engine light, and falls flat on it's face at about 4000. I still have a lot of hla noise also. I've had it apart three times to check clearance and it seems to be alright. I might have a couple hla bad, for the noise, but I have no idea what else to look for. Tried emailing barry, but no response. Thanks

------------------
'88 Black, K&N on VAM,
T-3 set at 22psi, ported E6, 2.5" single cat-back w/dynomax muffler, gillis, RR, TA cam gear, Bosch BPV
'88 Black, K&N on VAM, Holset HY35, ported E6, 2.5" single cat-back w/dynomax muffler, gillis, RR cam, TA cam gear, Bosch BPV, Stock IC, Walbro 255HP, Kirban AFPR

Dan E Offline
Posting Freak
Run the codes...

But I'm betting that your timing is off...maybe off a tooth on the belt.

------------------
Dan Eaves
88TC 5spd, Crower 5.5" Sportsman Rods, Short Wiseco Pistons bored .030" Over, Ported Head with Polished Combustion Chambers, Gutted & Polished Upper, Ported & Polished Lower, Polished T/B, Ported E6, SVO T3 .63AR Turbo, Bosch Bypass Valve, 3" DP w/No Cat, 2 1/2" DynoMax single cat back w/DynoMax Super Turbo Muffler, RR Cam, K&N in Fenderwell, Gillis Boost Valve, Centerforce I Clutch, Removed A/C, Polished Wheels, Polished Valve Cover, Polished Crank and W/P Pulleys, Walbro 255LPH HP Pump, Kirban Adj FPR, and the DAMN Heater Core is new too !

NATO MEMBER (Vice Chairman...if it's a vice...I deal with it)
Dan Eaves
88TC 5spd Vermillion Red, Polished...everything...

Chad88TC Offline
Alright, got the erratic idle fixed(tps), but now I am getting only 9" of vacuum and it still falls off at about 3500 sometimes. No codes, and cam timing, ignition timing are all dead on.
'88 Black, K&N on VAM, Holset HY35, ported E6, 2.5" single cat-back w/dynomax muffler, gillis, RR cam, TA cam gear, Bosch BPV, Stock IC, Walbro 255HP, Kirban AFPR

Noname
Unregistered
Did you remember to put the SPOUT connector back in?

------------------
Estoril blue 1987 TC 5spd, 136k miles
k&n cone in fenderwell, PRofec B electronic boost controller, kirban adjustable fpr set at 44psi base, walbro 255 hi-pressure pump, Bailey BOV, ported e6, stock IC, a237 cam, mildly ported head, t3/t4 50 trim / stage III .63, full 3" exhaust, eec-tuner, 55pph injectors, dave compton a/f meter, Nitto 555R drag radials
Best 1/4 mile (before tuner, turbo, injectors, drag radials): 14.120 (with 1.983 60' time)
Best trap speed: 98.44mph

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Did you completely collapse the lifters, using a vlavle spring compressor, to check/set the gap?
Pete Dunham

Chad88TC Offline
Toset the gap, I used a lifter without the spring in it, to be sure. I put the spout back in. It is just about right now, but I still have 10' of vacuum and it falls on its face at about 3500. There is some play on the compressor side but I can't see it falling on its face because of this. FUel pressure is fine, and at boost. Boost is there but it pulls real slow.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Chad, I just took a look at this. I measured a collapsed lifter with spring in and a collapsed lifter, spring out. Under pressure (used a vice to collapse) they are the same length. What I did notice is that after I took the spring out of the lifter and put it back together, it expanded, on it's own, due to the trapped air inside. If I then put it back in the vice and left it there long enough for the air to escape, it remained collapsed. If you used a lifter that re expanded, then the clearance would be incorrect.
Pete Dunham

silver88 Offline
Pete, even though i didn't ask this question, nor do i know chad88tc, i really appreciate you going out of your way to help him and many others, out. You are an extremely helpful enthusiast.

Thanks!
88tc: daily driver, trying to keep it sane.

Chad88TC Offline
Yeah, I greatly appreciate your help to Pete!! I noticed that too, and put the lifter without the spring in the vise too get out that trapped air. Will a collapsed lifter cause it to have a low vacuum reading? That is the only other thing I can think of. I pulled a plug early and it is white(lean), but fuel pressure is ok?? So, I have no idea what to do except, switch the cams back out, and see if the vacuum changes. But from the specs this cam should run very good, that is why I hate to take it out!

Pete D Offline
Administrator
The collapsed lifter could cause low vacuum because the valve isn't opening as far or as long, somewhat like a worn lobe. But if it was just one maybe two lifters, you would see some fluctuatiions in the needle Is the vacuum reading low but steady or is there some fluctuation to the needle? If it fluctuates, how much - how many inches does it change.

Please, don't take offense but did you set the clearance with with the heel of the cam next to the follower or the nose (high point)
of the cam next to the follower?
Pete Dunham