North American Turbocoupe Organization

If it can break or leak it will (Questions ??)
Lightning Fast Fords Offline
Gents,

I have recently purchased a 1988 TC 5-Speed with almost 143K on it.

I have probelms with the Emergency Brake not holding...yet the brakes themselves are in fine condition. Can someone , anyone point me in a direction on adjusting the cables or even replacing them ?

Does Ford still carry the Emergency Brake cables for this car in their vast inventory?

Lastly..The Engine of this car runs like a champ...and the Tranny is fine...yet the engine is leaking oil from both the front and rear and possibly anywhere else you can imagine. I know the tranny will have to be dropped to address the rear main seal..bu can the rest be handled with the engine still installed?

If you have any ideas to share..or what I can expect cost wise to do this ? I would sure love to hear what you have to say on the subject.

PS...should anyone have a 5-Speed Console or a drivers armrest they are willing to sell...Please contact me ASAP.

Best to all in the Aero-Bird world.

Allen

Allen

------------------
1988 Crown Vic Interceptor (351W Modified)

1994 F-150 Lightning

2000 Crown Vic LX (Handling and Performance Package)

1988 Turbo Coupe Thunderbird 5-Speed

1994 F-150 Lightning

1988 Turbo Coupe Thunderbird 5-Speed (Cloth Interior)

1968 Torino GT Fastback 351W / C4

Pete D Offline
Administrator
E brake cables part #s can be found in th ePart Number Forum. Do a search.

The adjsutment point is right under the drivers seat, under the car.

Many oil leaks can be handled with the engine in the car. In theory even the oil pan gasket. The instructions on that are about 2 sentences shorter than the instructions to remove the engine, but the manuals says it can be done [Image: biggrin.gif]

Remember that almost all oil leaks end up looking like main seal leaks because the oil gets blown back there. Unfortunately, these engines are also notorious for rear main leaks.
Pete Dunham

Thanks Pete,

The other day a friend of mine whom is a Licensed Vehicle Inspector in this state tinkerd with the adjustment under the drivers seat...and niether direction had an impact on function of the emergency brakes holding power...hince i'm thinking it needs a new cable.

Regarding the leaks...I note that everything can be blown backwards in the course of use...which leads one to assume a rear main seal being the problem..yet I have completely degreased and pressure washed this engine to get a better grasp of what's coming from where. I even remained under the car at level elevation with a cookie sheet under the car to monitor these leaks at idle and at the off position. he leaks does in fact come from between the tranny shield and the tranny itself.....and I'm inclined to believe the Cam seal is the culprit forward. The valve cover gasket is rock solid and not leaking...the head gasket is somewhat suspect...but performance nor any tell tale signs indicate a problem at present.

I have got a Haynes Manual...and I have a Ciltons as well...at this point I'm moved to buy a Factory Manual from Helms , as I have done with my oher older Fords.

Thanks for any other insights you may be able to provide.

1994 F-150 Lightning

Dan S Offline
Administrator
NAPA carries the emergency brake cables. The part numbers are 93634 and 93638 for both left and right cables. Hope this helps.

------------------
Dan S
NATO Member
84 and 88 Turbo Coupes
It's no longer a hobby, now it's an osbession!
Dan S
Custom 88 TC, Mandarin Copper Pearl Metallic
http://natomessageboard.com/ubbthreads.p...5#comments
1972 Ford F-100 SWB Styleside
2015 Lincoln MKC 2.3 EcoBoost AWD

Pete D Offline
Administrator
I had a head gasket leaking oil in a couple places due to very low torque on some head bolts, yet it never blew or had a performance issue.
Pete Dunham

Hybridbird Offline
Posting Freak
Yep,NAPA does have them and they are the last place to be able to get them.AZ can only get the right one(left one not available)and ADV> auto still lists them on their website but they can't get them either.They are obsoleted at Ford.Is it just me,or is the word OBSOLETE becoming more and more prevelant in everyone else's everyday conversation about these cars as well?

------------------
"Finch....get the f*ck away from that Ficus......that's a jizz-free Ficus!"
"Finch....get the f*ck away from that Ficus......that's a jizz-free Ficus!"

Dan and Pete ,

Thank you both for the replies...I will be hitting up NAPA on the cables as soon as I cop some ZZZZ's (Damn 3rd shift )

I will definately be going after the head gasket...cuz I fear a number of seals are in play..or out of play in this situation.

I hope you guys are going to be around for more 4 cyl novice questions....brace for it, they will be coming soon enough.

1994 F-150 Lightning

Quote:Originally posted by Hybridbird:
Yep,NAPA does have them and they are the last place to be able to get them.AZ can only get the right one(left one not available)and ADV> auto still lists them on their website but they can't get them either.They are obsoleted at Ford.Is it just me,or is the word OBSOLETE becoming more and more prevelant in everyone else's everyday conversation about these cars as well?

Hybrid,

I hate the word "Obsolete"...it means pay me more for junk ..or pay me more for aftermarket junk.

This if you will note is my second 1988 Ford...but at least my Crown Vic Police Package was produced in large enough numbers to still have plenty of cars to rob from.

MY 1988 CV has parts from at least 60 other cars on it...heck 8 car were used to piece together the bumpers and the trim pads alone for example...I knew the Turbo Coupe was gong to be worse in this regard..but I wanted to own one again.

The thing that shocks me is this...the engine parts and the alike are just as expensive as the damned Windsor V-8's I own...I was expecting a 4 Cyl to be a bit cheaper excluding the turbo and inter-cooler of course. Boy have I been surprised.

1994 F-150 Lightning