North American Turbocoupe Organization

front clunking niose and rear brake horrors
BJL Offline
ugh thsi car!
ok first thigns first, i havea nice clunk at hard low speed stops, and its bugging me!
and it soudsn leik the forn end is gona fall otu wheni hti bumps n aut mod,
thsi si what i foudn out, i put osem lube on the lower control arm bushins, and then checked al the bal jionts tie rods, etc etc, only a lil lay int he inner tie rods on both sides, but it hought my ball jions woudl nbe wasted, tbut they are tight, so im mad its anoyign me!!!!
codult he struts do it? kr the mounts? ugh ugh ugh

nex thting the rear f**king brakes breakl my f***ing b**ls

the right rear keep stick in when it freezew out, i put new cabels on it about 9 motnhs ago, its reallyl really annoying!
im starting to hink doign al this work inst worth it anymroe, especiaily since the us3d ca rlot i do alignments for has a 2001 Ls there with a 4.9l V8 for 17,500, and im apporved alreayd and its nto that bad for the payments, sooo, il stop i gotta think stright, think TURBO turbo TURBO!, ugh HELP!?!?!?!?!
Brian Larkin
88TC 330,000 miles
Slightly Modified

Pete D Offline
Administrator
the ball joints are preloded and can't be checked by the old method. What do the wear indicators say. see prior threads for how to read the wear indicators,

Did you check the sway bar bushings? They can lead to clunks when they are worn?

------------------
NATO Member. it's not a vice, it's an obsession
"The nice thing about each new day is nobody ever used it before" Barnaby Jones
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, mods list at
http://www.turbotbird.com/showroom/pd_88tc.htm
Pete Dunham

Walsted Offline
Posting Freak
Quote:Originally posted by BJL:
...I have a nice clunk at hard, low-speed stops, and its bugging me! It sounds like the front end is going to fall out when I hit bumps...
On my car, the clunks were coming from improperly attached calipers and bad anti-sway bar bushings. Fixing those two things eliminated the clunk in my car.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Mike Walsted - NATO member
1986 5-speed TurboCoupe and 1985 5-speed XR7

[This message has been edited by Walsted (edited 02-20-2003).]
Mike Walsted - Sold my 1986 5-speed TurboCoupe

Dan E Offline
Posting Freak
Quote:Originally posted by Walsted:
On my car, the clunks were coming from improperly attached calipers and bad anti-sway bar bushings. Fixing those two things eliminated the clunk in my car.

Hope this helps.

Mike...please define improperly attached calipers...

I also have a clunk I'm trying to hunt down. My sway bar is removed so I know it's not that...

[This message has been edited by Dan E (edited 02-20-2003).]
Dan Eaves
88TC 5spd Vermillion Red, Polished...everything...

Hybridbird Offline
Posting Freak
TRy grabbing your calipers while they are mounted on the car,if they move AT ALL,there's your noise.Get a set of stainless caliper sleves and pitch the stock rubber ones,the heat breaks them down,and lets them move around.Last ad I saw for the sleves was for like $29.They are in almost all of the Mustang supply house ads.They work on the "SVO" calipers as well,that's what I have.

------------------
Too much fun, what's that mean?That's like too much boost,there's no such thing.
"Finch....get the f*ck away from that Ficus......that's a jizz-free Ficus!"

BJL Offline
did end links a year or so ago when oen broke (that was an intreting drive then)
i look up the wear indicators thing too.
soudns liek my calipiers cuz they did move and i noticed that the pads actualy move too, where the bolts go threw the pad metal packing the hole on my Remsa Gold series pads let them move,,, but yea i think its the claipers, makes sense too, now on to my interior creaks and rattles!!!!!!!!

O yea, any one very use a genric brand Turbo muffler? i looek htem up today and my cost is 21.95 a peice, they will just welded ont o my exsisting [Image: redface.gif] 2inch tail pipes, just to make the car a lil ncier to drive, i mean i love it beign loud ( noc at and glasspacks)but it just well, annoying to me, jeez im 19 and i think im getting too old
to quick, whats next? the curb scrappers and lil orange ball on my antenna?

Thanks guys!

------------------
Brian J Larkin AKA Turbo
1988 Turbo Coupe 5spd
Twilight Blue
so much rebiult or replaced i lost track!
Repaint in Jan 02 by me and my close friends
Brian Larkin
88TC 330,000 miles
Slightly Modified

Walsted Offline
Posting Freak
On my car, a previous owner used bolts instead of the sliding caliper pins. They were close, but not quite the right diameter, (and stuck out a bit, and the wrong thread pitch, so they didn't screw in very far,...) so when I hit or released the brakes, the friction caused the pads and calipers to slide against the bolts and made a clunk that vibrated through the front end. I bought pads at the same time I bought the correct pins, which saved me a trip, since it turned out that the holes on the old set had become slightly elongated.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Mike Walsted - NATO member
1986 5-speed TurboCoupe and 1985 5-speed XR7

[This message has been edited by Walsted (edited 02-20-2003).]
Mike Walsted - Sold my 1986 5-speed TurboCoupe