North American Turbocoupe Organization

rear end rattle
trashline Offline
Posting Freak
Since august Ive had a thumping rattle from the back end. Im trying to get some ideas to check since Ive checked everything. What i have checked was the exhuast since it was new I thought maybe it was moving around. Well it isnt I have so many clamps on there it doesnt move at all. I removed everything from the trunk, like the spare tire jack lug wrench tool bag everything. When I have the car on a lift nothing is loose, i checked calipers, shocks,drivetrain weights, attached any loose hoses and wires, all control arms are tight everything is tight. The gas tank is tight as well.

It happens on the slightest bump, even a crack in the road allows me to hear this thump.

Any ideas
Brian

www.BCPCustom.com

06 Cobalt SS
66 mustang 289 C4 handfully modded

Stingers IC install and tbird photos
http://community.webshots.com/user/trashline

87TurboBobby Offline
Hello trashline,
I'm new here and it's funny how my first response to a post is my 87 TC is doing the same thing. I also have checked everything I can think of. But it still has that thumping in the rear area. Mine sounds like it's coming from the left rear. anxiuos to here comments.THANKS
90 Mustang GT Vert.
95 Mustang Vert
04 F150 Heritage
92 Chevy Silverado

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Spring isolators rotted out? Broken rear spring? If a spring breaks right at one end in the pocket, it can be very hard to see unless you look real close.... BTDT more than once.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Matt S Offline
Posting Freak
Emergency brake cable?
Sold it Sad*

Walsted Offline
Posting Freak
Check the bolts connecting the driveshaft to the differential. 12mm 12pt if I remember correctly.
Mike Walsted - Sold my 1986 5-speed TurboCoupe

trashline Offline
Posting Freak
I checked the springs with the rear axle fully extended and they arnt even loose.

E brake is checked and was fixed when checked. Driveshaft isnt loose for sure Ive had that problem before.

But I do think I might have solved it. I just need to fix it. today at work I thought maybe my Chrome tip was hitting the rear bumper cover. so I go out and theres a nice rub on the bumper. I take it off and the noise goes away. it good for about 15 minutes then it is back. I look at the exhaust pipe and it is right close to the bumper cover. Seems like as the exhuast heats up it forces the tailpipe up kinda flexing the entire system. which allows the pipe to get so close even the slightest bump hits it. I have a feeling this is it so Im going to bend the pipe a bit and see if this fixes it.
Brian

www.BCPCustom.com

06 Cobalt SS
66 mustang 289 C4 handfully modded

Stingers IC install and tbird photos
http://community.webshots.com/user/trashline