North American Turbocoupe Organization

87-88 TC Clutch chatter in 1st & reverse
Pete D Offline
Administrator
Friend of mine just had a Spec, stage II clutch put in his 87-88. He also had the pilot and TO bearings replaced and a new flywheel and slave cylinder. He had a large tranny shop do the work.

He feels he has too much chatter or shudder in 1st or reverse gears. The shop seems to somewhat acknowledge the issue. He and I are trying to establich a list of possible causes. Besides flywheel flatness, cleanliness, and micro finish on the flywheel (new) and the condition of the bearing retainer that the T.O. bearing rides on, what else contributes to launch shudder. Anything I'm missing? I'm assuming they bled the system on the new slave install. Probably not a good assumption?

There is one more little kicker here. When he picked up the car, the shop claimed the old clutch fork was cracked and they had to use a Mustang GT fork as they couldn't find an 87-88 TC hydraulic fork.

Anybody ever hear of any GT fork being suitable (I haven't). We don't know what year the GT fork came from. I'm curious how they rigged this, I haven't seen the car yet.
Pete Dunham

PetzJC Offline
Describe the clutch chatter.....the Spec clutches are a little more aggressive....

Also, is it broken in yet??
Former owner of 88 Silver T/C, loaded (except leather & A/T), original owner, 294,815 miles!!!
K&N, Gillis(18 psi), SVO roller #1, big SS valves, ported intake, head, & exhaust.
Short block & turbo original/untouched, spec-II/III clutch combo.
Polyurethane bushings throughout, Goodyear GT-HR 235/55R16

Pete D Offline
Administrator
I haven't driven the car. He said it's more of a shudder than chatter. He only has 300 easy miles on it.
Pete Dunham

gmaibach Offline
i had that on mine it went away after a couple weeks (500+ Miles)
1988 Turbo Coupe 5 speed Red with Red cloth interior, K&N cone filter, Ported IHI turbo, ATR Header ported, Manual Boost Controller at 18 psi.

2013 Focus ST 2.0 Turbo, Buschur green filter, OCD Speed axle back exhaust.

gmaibach Offline
also it would be nice if the gt fork fit.
1988 Turbo Coupe 5 speed Red with Red cloth interior, K&N cone filter, Ported IHI turbo, ATR Header ported, Manual Boost Controller at 18 psi.

gmaibach Offline
and mine also slipped for a couple days before it grabbed good.