North American Turbocoupe Organization

Need help
Pete D Offline
Administrator
See this article for checking cam timing
http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/CamTi...t%20Up.htm

Basically set the crank to top dead center, pull the plastic plug out of the timing cover and see if the mark on the cam pulley lines up with the center mark on the back cover. (all this is in the article, with pics)
Pete Dunham

imjamesw Offline
Are the ECTs prone to failure? I am running out of time to work on it today and I want to invest my time wisely...
If it were your car, would you start by replacing the ECT or checking the cam timing?
I have the cover off and it's apparent that it has not slipped any teeth... the tensioner is tight, the belt is in great shape. It did not have this problem before it was parked.

Do I have to take the upper intake off to replace the ECT?

Thank you for all of your help.

James
88 Medium Red Turbo Coupe. 172K. Stock. Horrible A4LD. 5k miles since 2006. She will be a part of my family as long as I am.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
The cam timing has to be right before going on to any other potential causes. And it can be verified right or wrong. The ECT can be a little slipperier to nail down. You can pull the codes but that doesn't always catch a bad one. You can test it with the info I emailed you. Even if it test good, it could still be a clogged hose fitting. Or both.

I've heard of people changing one with out pulling the upper intake but I wouldn't try it personally.
Pete Dunham

imjamesw Offline
cam timing is fine. the piece on the back of te cover broke off when the belt broke last time, but there is a mark that my neighbor put on the head to align the cam pulley with and it lines up. Next step probably is the ECT, right?
88 Medium Red Turbo Coupe. 172K. Stock. Horrible A4LD. 5k miles since 2006. She will be a part of my family as long as I am.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
I'd run the codes first and see what comes up.
Pete Dunham

imjamesw Offline
i tried to run codes, but I cleared them out last time and I'm afraid of burning up the car. I got the upper intake off and the ECT out. Upper intake and lower intake passages are coated with oil, so is the gasket btwn the upper and lower. ECT is trash. Covered in about 1/8" of rust and goo. Doesn't even look like brass anymore, even after I cleaned it up. Didn't help that I broke the top off when I was taking it off. I'll be getting one in a few minutes and putting it on. Any thoughts on the oil?

Thanks so much

imjamesw Offline
I just went and picked up the ECT and a "FULL" intake manifold gasket set... can't get just one, I guess. Funny how the prices can range on them from 15 bucks to 40 bucks depending on the store. I'm having a hard time finding the ABS relay. That's kind of weird, because it was so easy to find last time I needed one. Anyhow, I will post when I get this thing buttoned back up. Thank you for all of your help- from the bottom of my heart. I'd be in a world of hurt if I couldn't get this car fixed.

James

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Quote:Covered in about 1/8" of rust and goo.
If that is the case, I would drain the cooling system and clean out the end of that fitting as it's probably clogged. Might want to use a flush on the coolant system then new coolant mix.

Quote:Any thoughts on the oil?
Probably normal for 162K miles Big Grin
Pete Dunham

imjamesw Offline
I found two nuts missing between the upper intake bend and the throttle body assembly (where the studs are/the two bolt together)... wonder if that is the problem. I've almost got it put together, will let you know.

Thanks!!!!

James

imjamesw Offline
Well, last night I got it all put back together, but when I started it, I could hear some horrendous top end noise. It sounded like there was no oil in the engine. I checked it and it was a quart low, so I put in the quart. The noise still did not go away. I happened to look at the oil gauge on the dash and it showed no pressure. I shut it down, worried that no oil was flowing in the engine, but I had to move it out of the driveway. I pulled it out and stepped on it way too hard accidentally. The turbo PSI gauge shot up and the oil gauge showed good pressure again. I took it around the block a few times and the noise was gone. I drove it a little more to get it warm- the temp gauge didn't get to the "N" on the gauge, no matter how hard I tried. The manifold didn't glow anymore, either.

I am going to double check her tonight to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I want to be absolutely certain that everything is fixed.

Thank you for your help- you always seem to help me out of my scrapes, Pete!

Thanks again,
James