North American Turbocoupe Organization

Need help
imjamesw Offline
Hi everyone...
I finally got the 88 TC running again after about a year of sitting.
I put on a new alt, battery, and "fan switch?" (it's in the tee in the top line to the heater core... which was hard to find, I had to special order it. The only reason I replaced it is because the top of it snapped off when my dad was working on it one day.

Anyways,
It's idling at 2K all the time. It is not cooling down, the temp gauge climbs and doesn't stop. I did the KOEO test and the main fan runs there, so I know that the IRCM is working, but it isn't running when the car is getting hot. The aux fan is jumpered on when the car is on, but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Belt and electrical connector to the compressor is disconnected as the A/C Clutch burned up and siezed. High pressure switch plug (or whatever it is) is removed from the plug and jumpered.

I let it idle in the driveway after these repairs for about 20 minutes, the gauge was on the top of the "O". I took it for a 3 block drive, never getting on it and never spooling the turbo. The temp gauge slightly climbed until I stopped at the house and it went to the bottom of the red. Concerned for the car, I let it idle for about 30 seconds before shutting it down, but the temp gauge went to 1/2 way in that 30 seconds.

I got out, popped the hood... the exhaust manifold was shining like the sun, then my two heater core hoses melted instantaneously. Pulled the codes, but lost the ******* paper. Now they're gone. I know that one of them was in the 20s, possibly 26, one of them was either lean or rich, and one of them was in the 70s.

I pushed the car out of the driveway and left it on the curb.

Now, today, I have decided to take it up again and see if I can get her back. I really need to get her running again.. it's not a choice I have anymore.

I am going to check the cam timing, look for leaks around the intake, check the EGR diaphram for a tear (and plate it if it is torn).

ALSO-
I hate the ABS on this car. I've replaced the MC too many times. I think that the relay is going out... the pump will either run all the time or not at all... but when it isn't running, I don't even have standard brakes!!!

If anyone can help me, please either respond or give me a call. I'm going to go over and start now. You have full permission to call or text or reply. My cell phone number is 661.889.1529.

Basically, why isn't the main fan running?

Why does the car keep overheating?

And... any ideas on the glowing manifold?

I'm getting so discouraged that it's not funny. I love this car, it's been in the family for a very long time.. but I'm almost ready to be done with it.

I appreciate everyone's time here, you have all helped me fix her before.

Thanks,

James
88 Medium Red Turbo Coupe. 172K. Stock. Horrible A4LD. 5k miles since 2006. She will be a part of my family as long as I am.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Fan not running. Could be a bad ECT or the ECT is OK but the coolant fitting on the bottom of the intake is clogged and not letting coolant flow past the ECT. Have you used this procedure to checkout the fans.

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/Cooli...ingFan.htm

Any chance that code was a 21? That is a bad ECT. A bad one doesn't always set a code, they have to real bad. Check your email

Overheating. Have you checked the coolant level? A blown headgasket could cause overheating if exhaust is getting into the coolant system. Any small of coolant out the exhaust pipe?

High idle: Check the TPS, IAC, stuck linkage or vacuum leak,
http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/Idle-...e2005.html

Glowing turbo. Timing, cam or ignition. Clogged cat. A lean condition.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.
Pete Dunham

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Red hot ex man could be incorrect ignition and / or valve timing. Way retarded timing (is the timing advancing from base 10 deg to 25 - 30 deg when the SPOUT is plugged in? Are you 100% sure the valve timing is correct? this can be tricky to set the first time or 2 you do it.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

imjamesw Offline
Thanks Pete. Not sure on code 21, but I'm in front of the car right now so I will pull it and see.

No smell of coolant. Replaced the HG and had the head checked not too long before it was parked.

I am in the process of checking the TPS and IAC. I will reply once I figure something out.

Thank you Pete!
88 Medium Red Turbo Coupe. 172K. Stock. Horrible A4LD. 5k miles since 2006. She will be a part of my family as long as I am.

imjamesw Offline
Jeff,

I will put the timing light on it right now... 10 BTDC with spout out?
Is it supposed to go to 25-30 when the spout is plugged in and the prem fuel switch is set to 'reg'?

Thanks Jeff!

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Quote:s it supposed to go to 25-30 when the spout is plugged in and the prem fuel switch is set to 'reg'?
That's about right. Should increase about 20* over the initial setting (10* + 20* = 30, +/- 3*)
Pete Dunham

imjamesw Offline
ok... i took out the spout and timed it. the idle came down to 1200, it acted normal and was at 9 degrees BTDC. I put the spout back in, the idles came back up to 2K, timing was 22 degrees BTDC.

Is this the problem?

Pete D Offline
Administrator
The idle shouldn't change that much with the spout in. And 1200 is a little high. also.

Have you checked the cam timing? This needs to be correct first.
Pete Dunham

imjamesw Offline
i have not checked the cam timing. I might need a little instruction on how to do this.

I adjusted the base idle to 775(ish) with IAC disconnected a little while ago. Plugged it back in and started it, it went back to 1200.

I adjusted the TPS t .94 volts and checked for dead spots. TPS seems OK. Was 1.04 volts. Same result once this was corrected. Idle still at 1200-1250.

Don't know what to do now.

imjamesw Offline
I've got the timing cover loosened... don't know what to do from here.

Do I take out spark plug 1 and find the compression stroke? I remember something about that.

Thanks!