North American Turbocoupe Organization

Best clutch for me?
Xturbo coupeX Offline
Ok well im in the middle of doing the t-5 swap, and i would like to upgrade from the stock clutch before i put the trans in. I have an 87 with hopefully 300hp when all said and done. I would like to have a clutch that i can use as a daily driver very nicely, and still be able to beat it up on the weekends at the track. Whats out there for me that would be best suitable.
If knowledge is power, you're a geo metro! (its an inside joke)

Ryan H Offline
Posting Freak
There are lots of posts by searching here. If you want, you can contact Scott Ressler and he can help you out with picking out a SPEC clutch. Personally I'd go with the SPEC Stage III if you're going to be hard on it.

Here's a great topic on clutch selection:

http://natomessageboard.com/ultimatebb.p...1;t=001495
'88 TC Smile Walbro 255HP, Stinger FMIC, PIT BOV, Pro 5.0, Kirban, RR cam, FRPP strut tower brace, T3

Xturbo coupeX Offline
Ok if i were to buy a spec III what is the difference of breaking it in,im used to stock clutches. Also is there a difference in the torque on the pressure plate bolts?

Gulfdiver Offline
I should have mine installed shortly.. I'll be sure to post the results and feel/pressure..

As for breaking it in.. SPEC recommends driving 450 miles of stop and go driving with little or no boost and do not get on it at all.. no high rev. launches, squeeling tires, etc... (Granny drive it)
!!!!! MINE ALL MINE !!!!!
1988 TBird Turbo Coupe Mach 1 Special Edition
K&N airfilter; Spec Stage 3.. More mods to come!

martin0660 Offline
Posting Freak
The Specs are nice pieces for sure, but I also got some great wear and tear out of my Ram replacement (+30% over stock, not a powergrip). Roughly 15K street miles, plus maybe 160 1/4 mile passes with roughly half of them launching at 10 psi on et streets Wink YMMV

Bob Myers

Xturbo coupeX Offline
Would a stage 2 hold up pretty well also, i've heard bad things about the 6-pucks.