North American Turbocoupe Organization

scam warning...
bartonfan Offline
well as you know I was trying to sell my car but have since changed my mind and going to keep my car. anyways, a couple of weeks ago I got a email from someone asking about the car and I reply to him and I get another email stating that payment will be sent to me soon but there will be extra in it and could I western union the balance to the people that are going to be picking up the car.

so now I'm thinking there's something wrong here and send one back again saying I'm not sending anything to anybody and if you want the car you come here and talk to me. well I got the same email back to that reply, automatically generated email response so I just forget about it. that is till yesterday when I get a check in the mail for 4500.00 bucks and say to keep my amount and send the rest to some guy in mo. they even sent the check in a delivery confirmation envelope and got another email today saying where to send the money but go a head and keep a extra 50 buck for my trouble..

don't know if I should turn this in to the sheriff's dept here or just shred the check and forget about it. I've heard of these type of things before but never had someone trying to do it to me. anybody else hear of these type of scams?
88 turbo coupe
all stock
204000 miles
med. red w/ raven
love this car!!!

5.0TurboCoupe1988 Offline
Posting Freak
tell them you didn't get the check and they need to send another one. keep doing this until they go away...
1988 TC 2.3/5-Speed, 148K

Bill S. Offline
If you want to report it go for it. I don't it would hurt and could cover your butt if something bad does happen.

That said, (sorry if this is obvious) don't cash/deposit the check!

These scams are fairly common. Happened to my roommate's family. They were selling an older collector car. Someone offered to buy it as a first car to basically daily drive... (red flag right there)
They were going to send a check with more money, etc etc. Long story short, don't do it!
'88 TC T5
'85 XR7 Roller
Mods on hold pending swap.
Stinger header & mBC on shelf

bartonfan Offline
I would never even think about cashing that check.. I just wish there was a way to stick it to them just once for all the people they do get to fall for these things.. after going through all the emails and the check and envelope it came in there is a total of 6 different names attached to this. they cover all there bases don't they...
88 turbo coupe
all stock
204000 miles
med. red w/ raven
love this car!!!

Pete D Offline
Administrator
I would report it. Ask your bank who to contact. But you "void" the check before you give it to anyone, even the authorities
Pete Dunham

Bill S. Offline
If you're interested it trying to have a little fun, just be careful.

You might enjoy taking a look at what this guy did with an ebay scammer a while back

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
'88 TC T5
'85 XR7 Roller
Mods on hold pending swap.
Stinger header & mBC on shelf

Bud30Pk Offline
That scam has been going on for years.Most of the time it's people out of the country trying to pull it off.Almost happened to my friends wife who was selling her SUV.Usually happens when you put your car on AutoTrader.Beware.
1991 Taurus SHO Plus-Red,black leather.2012 F150 XLT 3.5 EcoBoost.

bartonfan Offline
now thats a funny story!! haha
88 turbo coupe
all stock
204000 miles
med. red w/ raven
love this car!!!

86XR7auto Offline
That's an old story....unfortunately.

Travis
86XR7 in pieces...old time [email protected] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGsz7PdEqTI 88TC stock Red RHSC [email protected], 01 Z71=Nice winter ride, 01 CVLX w/HPP wifes ride!

thumper Offline
Posting Freak
The Senator Prank is great too. John McCain is a pimp.
A.K.A. Corey Bennett

1988 TC: white, all options, 5-speed swap, K&N cone filter, "Ranger" roller camshaft, .60/.63 T3, NXS (Gillis-style) Boost Valve, Bosch BOV w/ check valve, Stinger 3" with axle dump (18" glass pack), 95A 3G

Some pictures: http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/cbennett4041/