North American Turbocoupe Organization

Blown headgasket, head, and block?
StangBolt Offline
Well, I took the head off the car the other day to change the headgasket, set the head aside, and then looked back at the block. I thought "well, there is the problem, blown headgasket", so I got a flathead screwdriver to get the headgasket off the block. UH OH, that is not a gasket!!!! Go back to the head, and there is the gasket, blown between the #1 and #2 cylinders (also, it looks like a nearly new 8993!)! Look back at the block, and it is 'gouged' with a little channel maybe 1/8" to a 1/4" deep and 1/2" wide, and the head is gouged maybe 1/16". WTF would cause this? I have never seen anything like this: all the pistons look fine, I did not run the engine for more than ~20 miles after I got it running, and compression was good (~150 all pistons) after I got it timed.

What are my options here? I have another NA engine. I can drill/tap it for an oil return, put forged pistons, etc and use it, but I am not sure about the head (after looking side by side, I KNOW I do not want to use the NA head). I need to take the head to a machine/speed shop and see what they say about it...

I am beginning to think the guy I got it from changed the headgasket (either not paying attention to the block or knowing about it but planning to sell it), but did not know how to time it and so gave it up and sold it for less than he would have if it were running. It just irks me to no end...

Sorry for the longish post, but this has not been a good start to my TC experience...
'02 Silver Lightning
'88 Silver/Blue Tbird TC

THUNDERPINTO Offline
wow that is not good,,, now ya have a nice boat anchor ! there will prolly be more damage in there too, better start looking for a good used unit!
2 87 TC's one is a Watkins Glen
88 TC no engine or interior,a no rust project
66 mustang coupe,71 triumph spit
52 Dodge powerwagon(s)
79 TC powered Pinto
99 Harley Roadking
73 750 Norton Commando Combat

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Can you get pictures of the block? Inquisitive minds want to know. 1/8 to 1/4" x 1/2 gouges don't just magically happen. It might be repairable but to do it right would probably involve some $$. Are you saying this gouge is between #1 & #2 cylinders or somewhere else.
Pete Dunham

StangBolt Offline
Yes, Pete D, it is exactly in the middle of #1 and #2 cyliders (the front two), in that narrow space between the first and second piston holes in the block. I will get pics of it tonight, although not sure how good they will show the actual damage...

Ya, I figure the block is now a boat anchor, but am really hoping the head is salvagable. I really need to just suck it up and take it to a shop around here.

Would running the car with a blown headgasket for a long time cause this? With it in this condition, it would run, rather badly, but enough to get it down the road. It would sit there and idle better than I would have thought possible with this problem.
'02 Silver Lightning
'88 Silver/Blue Tbird TC

THUNDERPINTO Offline
block damage can happen, my sister ran a nissan sentra with a bad gasket for a few days and had the same damage, the head was aluminum which had more damage but the iron block did have a grove about 1/8 wide and deep .... i was lucky and bought a whole running car for $50 at the impound auction ! It had a great running engine then scaped the rest of the car for $6o !
2 87 TC's one is a Watkins Glen
88 TC no engine or interior,a no rust project
66 mustang coupe,71 triumph spit
52 Dodge powerwagon(s)
79 TC powered Pinto
99 Harley Roadking
73 750 Norton Commando Combat

StangBolt Offline
Dangit, I bet that is what happened.

You make a good point Thunder, I need to check the local boneyards and see what they have. Like I said in the first post, I think the NA block I have will be good (it is a 80k mile motor), but not so sure about my turbo head. Also, the pistons in my turbo block do not look too bad (at least the tops, might find something worse when I tear it down more), so I might be able to reuse them with some new rings and be good to go.
'02 Silver Lightning
'88 Silver/Blue Tbird TC

StangBolt Offline
PICS!!!

http://www.nloc.net/gallery/images/full/...-30390.jpg
http://www.nloc.net/gallery/images/full/...-30391.jpg
http://www.nloc.net/gallery/images/full/...-30392.jpg
http://www.nloc.net/gallery/images/full/...-30393.jpg
'02 Silver Lightning
'88 Silver/Blue Tbird TC

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Oh man, that hurts to see. You would have to talk to a good shop to see if it's repairable and if so, how much. It may very well be cheaper to get another block and go from there.
Pete Dunham

StangBolt Offline
Well, I have that NA block, all I would have to do is drill it for an oil return, right?

I guess I should have taken pics of the head, but it is not near that bad, I think it will be easy to fix.

Also, and I realize it might be hard (impossible?) to tell, but is that piston a forged unit?

I guess it is not a good idea to run with a blown headgasket for a long time. I wonder how long he went like that...
'02 Silver Lightning
'88 Silver/Blue Tbird TC

Pete D Offline
Administrator
The pistons in the block in the pics should be forged. Forged is the standard piston in the turbo engines. N/A engines DO NOT use forged pistons. You would need to swap the piston, asuuming proper tolerances. Best would be a quick hone and new rings while you are at it, again assuming proper tolerances
Pete Dunham