North American Turbocoupe Organization

Need Clutch Info
DrPhang Offline
I am going to be getting a new clutch for my 87 TC while I have the motor out. I dont really want to spend over $200 for a new clutch. Can anyone recomend a solid clutch for under $200? I like the looks of the Tiny Avenger Motorsport Clutch Kit at http://www.tinyavenger.com. Will this do? Also is there anything else i should know.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
That clutch will work for you unless you are planning some fairly heavy mods. You also need to replace the clutch fork - $12 from Ford. Also inspect the transmission input shaft bearing retainer for groves and score marks. It goes over the input shaft and bolts (4 bolts) to the front of the transmission. If it is groved or scored, replace it or you may have shifting problems.

------------------
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, Main TC with K&N, 3"DP to 2.5"duals through Dynamax, Ric valve at 17+ and disconnected KS.
Elite Bodega 16" chrome wheels. Autometer pod w/ A/F and Vac/boost gauges.140 mph Motorsports Speedo New engine: Total Seal rings and TRW pistons, ported and polished head w/ cc'd chambers,1.59"exhausts, SS valves, gutted upper, knife edged lower, A-230 cam, Race Engineering Adj Cam Sprocket, Crowlers, ARP head studs, and rod bolts. Walbro 255 HP pump and Kirban adj FPR, T-3. Centerforce II, KB subs and jack rails.
Pete Dunham

Dan E Offline
Posting Freak
Quote:Originally posted by Pete D:
Also inspect the transmission input shaft bearing retainer for groves and score marks. It goes over the input shaft and bolts (4 bolts) to the front of the transmission. If it is groved or scored, replace it or you may have shifting problems.

Tom and I did look at it and it is scored...we also advised Adam to replace it.

Pete, didn't you find (have) a source for these in a better alloy or something ???
Dan Eaves
88TC 5spd Vermillion Red, Polished...everything...

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Dan, I got good news and bad news. I did find a source for steel ones (stock is aluminum), that's the good news. The bad is that these only fit the SVOs and the 83-86 TCs. There was a change of some sort on the 87-88 tranny and the bearing retainer flange bolt pattern is different. Of course they neglected to tell me this when I ordered two of them. If anybody wants one I'll sell it for my cost and I'll pay the shipping.

------------------
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, Main TC with K&N, 3"DP to 2.5"duals through Dynamax, Ric valve at 17+ and disconnected KS.
Elite Bodega 16" chrome wheels. Autometer pod w/ A/F and Vac/boost gauges.140 mph Motorsports Speedo New engine: Total Seal rings and TRW pistons, ported and polished head w/ cc'd chambers,1.59"exhausts, SS valves, gutted upper, knife edged lower, A-230 cam, Race Engineering Adj Cam Sprocket, Crowlers, ARP head studs, and rod bolts. Walbro 255 HP pump and Kirban adj FPR, T-3. Centerforce II, KB subs and jack rails.
Pete Dunham

DrPhang Offline
So Dan is that what you think ny prob was? When I shifted it would thing every now and then and i got some grinding noises