North American Turbocoupe Organization

Well I just got screwed - don't always trust what you see on Ebay
charles88tc Offline
Wow sounds like you got a bum deal. Like the others have stated you paid too much. I hate it for you. I paid 900 for my 88 5 sp. Yeah the paint is very rough but no rust, all the electronics in the car worked, The only issue was a leaky oil feed line at the oil sending block. Yes the car was rough around the edges, and it has had its issues. But I bought it and drove it home, and drove it for about 2 months before I had any thing major to do. Hope you get your money back ! GOOD LUCK!
88 tc 5sp, Gillis, K&N on vam, Redneck cat back exaust (nothing from the cat back) 220,000 mile short block. Rebuilt 86 head and cam.

Keman Offline
Sounds like a bum deal, but if it cost you $1500 in the end, that's not so bad!

Yeah it's going to need some TLC. But at that price, anything will.

You still got the tbird, the quadshocks never did anything anyways, maybe the rotors are just rusted to the pads, and just think of how cool it'll all be when you're finally done making it run good. Smile

Just trying to look at the positives... if you want to convert it to a manual trans and a bigger turbo, you can have the stock turbo and trans professionally rebuilt and sell them both for a tidy profit.
Eric "Keman" Uratchko
1990 Mustang 5.8 GR-40
1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 5sp
2005 Audi S4 Avant MT6

sbhjr44 Offline
I have bought 2 TC's from e-bay and the transactions were great I did travel to pick them up and drive them home. The sellers were right on with how they described the TC's.
Stinger dual3"exhaust from dp & cat to magnaflows w/2.5 outlets w/tailpipes.Homemade CAI w/boost at18psi.MM c/c plates and tubular lca/front coilovers with Koni red adjustables all around. Ported/BV head/A237 and bobslog w/a stinger fmic set-up waiting to go on.86 stang gt w/motor and T-5 from a 86 TC w/3"SS dualexhaust w/cc plates and lowered 1.5".With volvo ic installed.

trashline Offline
Posting Freak
Quote:Originally posted by Keman:
Sounds like a bum deal, but if it cost you $1500 in the end, that's not so bad!

Yeah it's going to need some TLC. But at that price, anything will.

You still got the tbird, the quadshocks never did anything anyways, maybe the rotors are just rusted to the pads, and just think of how cool it'll all be when you're finally done making it run good. Smile

Just trying to look at the positives... if you want to convert it to a manual trans and a bigger turbo, you can have the stock turbo and trans professionally rebuilt and sell them both for a tidy profit.
I disagree with your statement about the quad shocks, they are there to inhibit wheel hop and the axle from rotating. they do work, and I think they work pretty well.
Brian

www.BCPCustom.com

06 Cobalt SS
66 mustang 289 C4 handfully modded

Stingers IC install and tbird photos
http://community.webshots.com/user/trashline

turbo d Offline
I'm not even gonna argue over quad shocks, we all have our own opinions. If you need a set, I have a pair of Monroe Formula GP's that I'll sell for cheap. I will say, just try and keep your cool, and hopefully the guy rights his wrongs.

I've had great luck with ebay(knock on wood). I bought a '93 Lightning off of there years ago, and I ended up giving the guy a few hundred dollars more for it, b/c he was super cool and the truck was better then I had hoped for. This was a local deal, only an hour from my house.
I also bought a 01 GT from a girl in Los Angeles a few years ago. I flew out there, met her at the airport, and was on my way home less then an hour after landing. That was probably one of the best times of my life. I left Chicago on Saturday morning with a backpack full of 2 changes of clothes, my music, and a cert check for 18 grand. I was back in IL the following Monday. What a drive and what a deal.
It's really a damn shame that people aren't more honest. I hope my luck doesn't run out, because the next car I buy will be from ebay, and hopefully far from home. I hate dealerships, and I love to drive. I'd buy a car anywhere from Seattle to Boston, so long as I knew the person was legit. I've learned to be pretty good at judging people and how honest they are, but some still fool me. Good luck
Darrell

Hawk Offline
"I disagree with your statement about the quad shocks, they are there to inhibit wheel hop and the axle from rotating. they do work, and I think they work pretty well."

Yes, they do help, quite a bit. TCs launch pretty well. I have never had a bit of wheel hop occur with any of my TCs. I can't say the same about the other cars I've had that had the same suspension design. If you take a look at many live axle suspension designs you will notice that the shocks are on opposite sides of the axle. That is a cheap way of doing the same thing using only one set of shocks. The engineers designing the cars and trucks aren't stupid. They know how to get what they want in their design and still get buy in from the bean counters that control everything.

Hawk

turbotronic Offline
Quote:Originally posted by Hawk:
If you take a look at many live axle suspension designs you will notice that the shocks are on opposite sides of the axle. That is a cheap way of doing the same thing using only one set of shocks. The engineers designing the cars and trucks aren't stupid. They know how to get what they want in their design and still get buy in from the bean counters that control everything.
Hawk
Oh....Ok. I did not know that. Thanks for that info, I was wonderin why they did that. I see it alot on trucks, since you can easily see the suspension on them.
~Mark

88 TC (Black), 5 speed
FMS 140MPH Speedo Big Grin
Oval Port Head
1.59/1.89 SS Valves
APC Cone (I know...Ricer part)
Gillis valve
TurboXS BOV-RFL
Alum. Water Pump
Walbro 190
3G

88 TC (Red) [Parts Car]

TurboCoupe50 Offline
Posting Freak
I'm a fan of the quad shocks as well. With a TOTALLY stock suspension, I've never had a hint of wheel hop. And that includes launching on nitrous pulling high 1.60, low 1.70 60 ft times...
1988 Turbo Coupe331 AOD

1972 Comet GT

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed