North American Turbocoupe Organization

How do you replace the crankshaft seal?
mustanglover32 Offline
Ok, how do you remove the pully and such. I know there is a bolt but when I go to take it off all that happens is the motor turns over and the car pulls foreward a little. I think this is where my oil leak is coming from.

later,
david

------------------

Wings are for planes!!! (I would know I fly them!)

Pete D Offline
Administrator
If the car is pulling forward your turning the bolt in the wrong direction. Block the wheels, set the E brake and turn it the other direction (counter clock wise

------------------
NATO Member. it's not a vice, it's an obsession
Letting the cat out of the bag is a whole lot easier than putting it back in.
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, mods list at
http://www.turbotbird.com/showroom/pd_88tc.htm
Pete Dunham

mustanglover32 Offline
And then what.

david

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Remove the accessory drive and AC belts. You will also have to remove the cam belt so the front cover has to come off also. Remove the bolt. Remove the crank pulley. Remove the cam belt guide, it's concave so note which side goes where when removing.
Remove the drive gear for the cam belt. It's keyed and in theory should slide off. If not massage it a little. You should now see the front seal. It can be pryed out but you may have to remove the cylinder front cover to do it. This will require removing the 2 front most oil pan bolts and then 4 bolts that hold the cover in place. Lube the new seal with oil, both the seal part and the flange. You can put some silicon sealant around the inside lip of the flange for additional sealing it you want (Permatex "blue") You must drive the new seal in squarely. If you can find a socket or piece of pipe the size of the seal, that would be the best method. If not, tap it in gently working your way around the lip until it is firmly seated.
Pete Dunham

mustanglover32 Offline
Thanks, dude. I will give that a try and update with progress.

later,
david