North American Turbocoupe Organization

Clutch disassembly questions - LONG sorry
GlassRooster Offline
First time doin a clutch so PLease bear with me.
First the easy questions.. What is the sensor and wire harness for on the side side of the transmission? see pic.

Next there is a tube (see top of piture)-seems to be attached to to the trans or cross member and goes to the top of the cat. I cant see well enough to see how it is attached at the cross member so I cant remove it.. help.

Ok - all bolts are loose on the cross member and the trans to bell housing.

I have a bottle neck jack under the bell housing.

Is there anything else I need to unattach at this point.. Harnesses I cant see? The stick has been pulled off and the starter as well.

If not- This is what I planned on doing ( Please keep me alive!) do I just pull the cross member down letting the 2 halves of the member swing down and away and let the bottle neck jack at the bell housing support the transmission. I have the 2 lower bolts to the bell housing in now and the top bolts are removed.
If so I will take out the lower bolts to the bell housing and pull the trans out and down and rest it on another pump jack to lower it.

When I do this will the engine want to rock with the added weight and cross member gone? if so which way?

Once I know which way it will rock and protect vunerable plumbing and wiring. I will be able to tilt the engine down toward the back and tear at the bell housing next.

BY the way no copyright on the pic it is rough but works
David

87 TC Faded Burgundy with faded red interior
K&N and cold air ducting- rest is bone stock
02 Mazda Protege 5 Replaced Dead Saturn
99 Cougar- Wife's car new body style now Discontinued.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
I'm kind of rushing here but

Sensor, Doesn't matter what it is, unplug it. We will look it up later as to what it is

Tube. It is a support for the exhaust system if I remember correctly.

Have you drained the trans FIRST, and then removed the driveshaft by unbolting at the rear axle.

Place a pump jack under the trans then unbolt the crossmember from the trans. Get the trans supported then disconnect the crossmember on both sides.

Support the back of the engine when you are ready to remove the trans

Remember there is a right and wrong way to install a clutch plate. It will be marked as to which side goes in what direction. Be sure to have the flywheel resurfaced

[This message has been edited by Pete D (edited 03-28-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Pete D (edited 03-28-2005).]
Pete Dunham

GlassRooster Offline
Drive shaft is off. Trans is not drained but no biggie the plug is on the base of the trans- will drain. Will support trans and remove cross member. When you say support engine when trans is removed where should I support it? which way will it want to go?
David

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Quote:Support the back of the engine when you are ready to remove the trans

The engine will want to tilt back (down) at the transmission end.
Pete Dunham

GlassRooster Offline
I would have thought that by taking the trans weight off the back it would want to rock forward. Dumb logic never works gotta stop thinkin so much. Well.. gettin 2 inches of rain and local flooding rain today and tonight so I will take another stab at it tomorrow. Thanks Pete
David

Asimov Offline
Actually, it is logical, look at the position of the motor mounts, and how much of the motor overhangs them at the front and back.

------------------
-asi

1986 TC, 132k pretty well taken care of miles. k&n, gillis@17, timing @ 8 (spout out), A/C delete. 3" Downpipe (no other exhaust... Whoever described that sound as a "pissed off tractor" hit the nail on the head)

[email pics to asimov at forced-induction org for sales/id/showoff purposes (free hosting)]
-asi

1986 TC, 132k pretty well taken care of miles. k&n, gillis@16, timing @ 12 (spout out), A/C delete. 3" Downpipe (no other exhaust... Whoever described that sound as a "pissed off tractor" hit the nail on the head)

[email pics to asimov at forced-induction org for sales/id/showoff purposes (free hosting)]

GlassRooster Offline
Well wouldnt you know it the 3.8" of rain we got Monday and Tuesday flooded the garage where the bird is roosting.. GRRRRRRRRR if it aint snow its rain ..tools are soaked.. man!
David

GlassRooster Offline
Update.. Props to my buddy Paulie for the extra set of hands..the clutch is in [Image: smile.gif]. Next question .. On the driveshaft the balancing ring that connects to the front yoke (name??) the rubber inside seems to be somewhat raggedy. My bud said this may have been the original start that caused the bolts to vibrate out and I should replace it.
What is the correct term for that ring and should I replace it?
David

Pete D Offline
Administrator
I'm not sure it can be replaced. I think it can be removed and then can always have the drive shaft balanced at a drive shaft shop
Pete Dunham

GlassRooster Offline
The Piece I am talking about is attached to the U joint bracket that goes into the trans.(see pic Far Left) Does that need to be pressed off?
David