North American Turbocoupe Organization

bird falls on its face and dies
superchikn Offline
I just got the car a few weeks ago and have only drove it down the road twice. It is a 88 turbo bird with a rebuilt motor and suposidly rebuilt turbo. When I drove the car the first time I gave it some gas (not floored) and it fell off and died and like to have never got it started back. I changed the plug wires and fuel filter, fuel pressure is 45psi. The car was also idling at about 3000 rpm unhooked the cold start solonoid (looks to be new)and it idled down to about 900. Took the car out again today and it did the same thing, just falls flat and dies and has trouble starting back and when it does it runs rough. Any help, I have no idea what to check for
Thanks
Always FORD

Not B Anymore Offline
Administrator
This is on a stock setup? 45psi with the vacuum hose hooked up or no? Either way it's too high for a stock setup. Does it have an adjustable regulator or a stocker? If it's a stock regulator it may be bad. Smell the reference line to the regulator for a strong odor of gas, and look for wetness in the line. If it's adjustable, knock the base FP down to ~39 with the vac line unhooked.

900 rpm is a tad high of a idle with the IAC unplugged. Try knocking it down to ~750-800 (with the IAC unplugged), then reset the TPS to ~.95 volts.

For how long after restarting the car does it run rough? Does it always idle at 3000 or is that intermittent?
Brian Leavitt
'86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83 lb. injectors | T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller | Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | 20psi | 120-amp 3G | 8.8" 3.55 rear | '03 Cobra Wheels

Not B Anymore Offline
Administrator
Oh - also check for vac leaks and pull the codes if you haven't already. Always a good place to start.
Brian Leavitt
'86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83 lb. injectors | T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller | Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | 20psi | 120-amp 3G | 8.8" 3.55 rear | '03 Cobra Wheels

superchikn Offline
all stock, vac lines are hooked up when we checked pressure. I haven't let it idle long after I get it refired just too frustrated and park it. It didnt idle that high when I first bought it but it did start idling high before I did any work to it and I can't find any vac leaks anywhere. I haven't run any codes on it yet. When you first start the car it sounds really good. I really don't know much about the turbo motors, worried more it might be turbo?
Always FORD

goldwing Offline
I'm not mechanic but I like to reply anyways Smile
Check the inlet tube from the VAM to the Turbo.
I had my hose come loose and it would die when I gave it gas.
Good luck
T.C:87 5 speed
HOLSET(HE341/HY35W type-D),255 Walbro, No intercooler yet,8lbs boost,Timing @ 9,Low& C.C Plates & SN-95 Bumpsteer Kit, KYB-AGX Struts,Belt driven fan,Custom oil cooler feed,Relocated ECT,Relocated TFI,N/A Hood, showing 178K

Not B Anymore Offline
Administrator
I think it's (or at least part of it is) the regulator. Your fuel pressure reading with the vac line hooked up should have been WAY less than 45psi at idle. like in the low 30's I think... A bad turbo wouldn't make it die when you got on it. It would just have zippy power. Disconnect that hose to the FPR and give it a sniff.
Brian Leavitt