North American Turbocoupe Organization

Update on my TC, More probs...lol
Gremlin Offline
Well, I finally got my TC ready to drive. The brakes weren't working due to relays and hydraulic routing. That got fixed with the help of Pete. Did a full tune-up. Replaced faulty modulator valve in transmission and tightened bands (trans still slips a little). Now more problems arise on the road. There is a grinding coming from the front left wheel which I can only attribute to wheel bearings and should not be a problem to fix. The next big problem is on the highway the car overheats (according to temp gauge). The gauge went almost into the red area before I pulled over. Idling the car came back into normal temp range and was fine for city driving. Also, steam comes out of the exhaust . I am not sure if it does it when fully warmed up or not. I ran the car with the radiator cap off and it didn't foam or shoot water out so I don't think its a head problem. The radiator does get extremely hot so I am guessing it is the radiator that is not able to disapate the heat fast enough. Other than that the car runs pretty nice and has good pick-up. It boosts 10 psi (automatic), and runs pretty smooth. Any suggestions about the problems I am having would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gremlin
'88 Turbo Coupe - K&N in fender, boost valve @ 15 psi.

segfaultxr7 Offline
Posting Freak
Is the air dam under the front bumper still there? If not, that will cause it to overheat at highway speeds. Otherwise I'd suspect the thermostat or water pump. It's OK if the exhaust steams when the car is cold, but it shouldn't after it warms up.

As for the wheel bearing, jack up the car, hold the tire at 12:00 and 6:00, and shake it. Any movement indicates a bad or improperly torqued wheel bearing.
88 TC 5-speed

Gremlin Offline
Ok, the wheel bearing was the problem. New one got installed last night. Grinding has gone away. But the temp gauge is still all over the place(but consistant). I am really not sure if its accurate because my oil one drops to 0 and then goes all the way to high then stays in the middle for ahwile...heh. I need a new motor mount for the drivers side. As of right now the motor mount is out of the captured loop. Idling in drive sounds like the car is about to fall apart from the vibration. Tried to pry the motor mount back into place but it seems pretty solid so I don't think its broke. I couldn't really find a motor mount at murray's or online. Does anyone know where I can get one that will work from. I read in a previous post that a mustang one will work. What year mustang though???

Thanks,

Gremlin

segfaultxr7 Offline
Posting Freak
If the oil, temp, and fuel gauges move around together, it's the voltage regulator for those 3 gauges. It acts up all the time. There have been many times that I'd be startled to see my temperature almost in the red, then look at the other gauges and see that I mysteriously gained half a tank of gas and a whole lot of oil pressure as well.

What year is your TC? They changed the mount designs a few times.
88 TC 5-speed

Gremlin Offline
It's an '87. It is only the oil gauge that flakes out. The reservoir tank was leaking so I fixed that. Then while out driving today. I find a nice fresh puddle of coolant beneath the radiator. Checked the hoses/plug. No dice. So I really think the radiator is the problem. I put some stop leak in it for now. I am hoping to get the radiator over the weekend (3-way one instead of the 2-way in there).