North American Turbocoupe Organization

why does it feel faster than it is?
POWERED BY PSI Offline
hey guys...just noticed driving my tbird...the thing feels alot faster than it runs...from the butt-o-meter..i should be in the low 9's atleast.. in the 1/8 mile...but i am only able to hit 9.8's and up [Image: frown.gif] is this a traction problem? i drop the clutch at 3500,and either bog..or spin...ya think this car is capable of more?
-85 Turbocoupe 5-speed
-Hurst shifter
-Full 2.5 Dynomax Super turbo system (Cat gone)
-Saab9000 intercooler(front mount)
-Gillis set at 18-20
-K&N on VAM
-93 octane
-14-16 degrees timing
whats the deal? am i spinning...or is this all it has?
thanks!!
Zach
85 Turbocoupe. 5-speed.
Mods- single 2.5 inch exaust with highflow cat and Apex bullit muffler, Saab 9000 front mount IC,Centerforce II clutch kit, Gillis BV set at 19psi,K&N on VAM, Hurst shorthrow shifter.
BEST ET-(1/8)-9.7 @71.9 mph

natmac3 Offline
Administrator
It sounds like the problem is in the clutch technique. I bet you'll be faster if you try this:

1. Hold the revs where you want, best around 3500- 4k

2. Release the clutch rapidly till you feel it catch, then slowly release it as the car begins to surge forward

Done properly it will launch like a rocket and not do too much harm to the clutch.
1987tc

natmac3 Offline
Administrator
Oh, and if you get the launch timing down, try staging as shallow as possible, it will help cut down your e.t.
1987tc

Ed Meinel Offline
What are your 60' times? A good 60' is critical in the 1/8 mile. You should be able to do 2.0-2.2 sec on street tires.
Ed Meinel
04 Jaguar XK8
01 Bentley Arnage
Gone: 88 TC to son's father-in-law
Gone: 88 TC: twins!

FlyByeBoy Offline
Put a line lock on your front breakes. Then you can set the breaks and get on you clutch a little so it isn't all at once. You can get one at Summit Racing.

------------------
88 TC X 2 One stock one not so stock.
Not So Stock 88 TC. 94 SHO w/5speed. (NATO Member)

Noname
Unregistered
Quote:Originally posted by FlyByeBoy:
Put a line lock on your front breakes. Then you can set the breaks and get on you clutch a little so it isn't all at once. You can get one at Summit Racing.

I wouldn't expect that to be very good for a stock organic clutch, or any clutch for that matter. As organic clutches heat up, their coefficient of friction drops dramatically, resulting in clutch slippage and a severely shortened lifespan of the clutch. If you want to build boost on the line, try a two-step rev limiter / timing retard system like the one Glenn88TC uses.

PoweredByPsi - What kinds of trap speeds are you running through the 1/8th mile? With a decent 2.0 60', I was turning 77-78mph in the 1/8th with my 1/8th mile times in the 9.0 range. ET's can vary a LOT, but trap speeds tend to be much more consistent.

------------------
Estoril blue 1987 TC 5spd, 138k miles
k&n cone in fenderwell, PRofec B electronic boost controller, kirban adjustable fpr set at 44psi base, walbro 255 hi-pressure pump, Bailey BOV, ported e6, Spearco 26x8x3 FMIC, a237 cam, mildly ported head, t3/t4 50 trim / stage III .63, full 3" exhaust, eec-tuner, 55pph injectors, dave compton a/f meter, Nitto 555R drag radials
Best 1/4 mile (before tuner, turbo, injectors, drag radials, cam, and FMIC): 14.120 (with 1.983 60' time)
Best trap speed: 98.44mph

[This message has been edited by SteveXX82 (edited 05-30-2003).]