North American Turbocoupe Organization

Ignition switch, cylinder, or something else?
88turboeric Offline
hey guys,

I've had my 88 turbo for a month now and the guy I got it from told me the ignition switch was bad and he gave me a new one to install, I took apart the column and seen that you need a special bit with a hollow center to take it off. He said it had a recall and to replace it asap. Well it has the same numbers as the new one so I'm assuming it has been replaced already... as the recall was from years ago.

Once in a while I will put the key in and turn it and nothing will happen, no noise what so ever. If i tap/bump my fist under the steering column once or twice it will start. Do you guys think it's the swich, key cylinder or something else?? I have a new switch and a key cylinder is fairly cheap. I'm thinking about replacing both.
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 spd
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3230945

Pete D Offline
Administrator
The switches are kind of notorious foe failure. You also need to inspect the connector and wiring. You can use a dremel to cut groves in the 2 fasteners then just use a screwdriver to remove/install them
Pete Dunham

88turboeric Offline
Thanks Pete, that's a good idea.... i was going to try to drill the center part out and use the regular torx/star bit i forgot which it was...
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 spd
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3230945

georgechard Offline
Those screws are installed with lock tite so you might have a hard time useing a screwdriver.You could try the local hardware they might have the tool your looking for.Good luck!!!!

RDOG Offline
Posting Freak
I can get these tools in sets real cheap from a hardware store near me. They are like $7 for a complete set. I think they have an online store. I will let you guys know.
1986 Turbo Coupe. Boport StageIII head, Boport 2.1, Performance Techniques 50 trim hybird, StageII.63, stinger 3" exhaust, Phenolic spacer, Boglog header,NPR FMIC intercooler setup, kirban fpr, bigrmotorsports fuel rail, diablo water meth kit, CAI, remote mount TFI, CHE rear adj control arms, MAC girdle, 8.8 rear disc, aluminum drive shaft, H&R lowerings springs Tbird Turbo Specific, y MAS!!

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Quote:Originally posted by georgechard:
Those screws are installed with lock tite so you might have a hard time useing a screwdriver.You could try the local hardware they might have the tool your looking for.Good luck!!!!
Really? I have used the "use a Dremmel to slot the screws" method probably 5 times over the last 20 years to replace ignition switches in various Fords, and the screws always came out with relative ease.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Quote:Really? I have used the "use a Dremmel to slot the screws" method
I've done the same at least 2-3 times in the last 10 years. No problem.
Pete Dunham

RDOG Offline
Posting Freak
Here is the company that sells that type tool. They are cheap and work great...
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?catPath=All%2BProducts%252F%252F%252F%252FUserSearch%253Dtorx&currentPage=4&lastPage=4&isNext=false&isPrevious=false&categor y=&attributeValue=&attributeName=&requestedPage=1&resultsPerPage=10&resultsPerPageBottom=0
1986 Turbo Coupe. Boport StageIII head, Boport 2.1, Performance Techniques 50 trim hybird, StageII.63, stinger 3" exhaust, Phenolic spacer, Boglog header,NPR FMIC intercooler setup, kirban fpr, bigrmotorsports fuel rail, diablo water meth kit, CAI, remote mount TFI, CHE rear adj control arms, MAC girdle, 8.8 rear disc, aluminum drive shaft, H&R lowerings springs Tbird Turbo Specific, y MAS!!

Wjameson Offline
it is called a "Tamper proof" bit
87 TC 5spd, 2006 Daytona R/T Charger,03 Anniversary HD Lowrider