North American Turbocoupe Organization

Low end Torque?
wnichol Offline
What would be the best mods to do on a 88 TC with a T-3 for more low end torque? I have searched and could not find any real answer.
88'TC, Fully Loaded!, T-3 turbo, 2.5" Borla dual exhaust, 3" Sac. Mustang downpipe, cold air with K&N cone, TSW rims, Aluminum driveshaft, Extrude Honed lower intake, vac/boost gauge, air/fuel gauge, complete sterio upgrade(but that doesn't make you faster)

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Don't gut the upper intake, clean up the runners a little, same with the lower. Port the exhaust side of the head and all the valve pockets. Just clean up the intake runners of the head. Low or no overlap came, not high lift. The Ranger roller is suppose to be a good low end cam. 3:73 rear gears. A good exhaust system

------------------
NATO Member. it's not a vice, it's an obsession
"The nice thing about each new day is nobody ever used it before" Barnaby Jones
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, mods list at
http://www.turbotbird.com/showroom/pd_88tc.htm
Pete Dunham

wnichol Offline
Hey Pete thanks a lot. What would be the best year for the RR cam? Is there very much of a change between the years? Do you sacrafice much on the high end then?

[This message has been edited by wnichol (edited 05-20-2002).]
88'TC, Fully Loaded!, T-3 turbo, 2.5" Borla dual exhaust, 3" Sac. Mustang downpipe, cold air with K&N cone, TSW rims, Aluminum driveshaft, Extrude Honed lower intake, vac/boost gauge, air/fuel gauge, complete sterio upgrade(but that doesn't make you faster)

5.0SHO77 Offline
Put a V8 in like me, hahaha

natmac3 Offline
Administrator
Not Pete, but hey...
Look in the FAQ section under "Engine" for the link to the "Ranger Roller".
There's some good info there with part #s and other tidbits...
1987tc

Hybridbird Offline
Posting Freak
I kinda agree with 5.0SHO on this one because,well, you do realize these are big cars with only 4 cylinders right? [Image: confused.gif]LOL

------------------
Too much fun, what's that mean?That's like too much boost,there's no such thing.
"Finch....get the f*ck away from that Ficus......that's a jizz-free Ficus!"

wnichol Offline
Yeah I know the best way to go would be to put a 5.0 in there but I like the little four banger (especially it's gas mileage) and I love the look on peoples faces when they find out they've been beaten by a four banger. Im just tryin to squeeze out some more low end torque.

segfaultxr7 Offline
Posting Freak
Dump the clutch at about 3000 rpm. Solves my problems with getting started off the line. [Image: wink.gif]
88 TC 5-speed

motormenace Offline
Quote:Originally posted by segfaultxr7:
Dump the clutch at about 3000 rpm. Solves my problems with getting started off the line. [Image: wink.gif]

...and when you do this, there is a no such thing as turbo lag. [Image: biggrin.gif]

------------------
69 mustang coupe (next project)
86 turbo coupe (it's fun beating a honda...with something twice it's size!)
86 SVO (it's amazing what people can screw up)
90 mustang GT (project scratch and dent)

...i'd rather be trolling...
86 turbo coupe (14.12 at 15 psi. sleeper) *gone*

...so you have a V8...isn't that cute...

SteveX82 Offline
Posting Freak
Depending on how much boost and what grade of gas you're running, you can also try advancing the ignition timing a bit, or even buying an adjustable cam pulley and advancing that at few degrees (especially if you opt for the rr cam).
Estoril blue 1987 TC 5spd, 148k mi, a237, Bailey BOV, spec stg3 clutch, spearco FMIC, 50 trim t3/t4, 3" exhaust, Bamafuel, LM1, 55pph
Best 1/4 mile: 12.31 @ 110mph on 25psi