North American Turbocoupe Organization

diagnosing electrical ?
Pete D Offline
Administrator
Quote:which wires or pins do i hook the mulitmeter to

Beats the hell out of me [Image: biggrin.gif]

If I had to guess based on what I do for a TPS, I'd say the + side of your meter goes to
VAF signal 43 and the - side goes to signal return 46. Key has to be ON

Please understand that I'm electrcally challenged and at my house someone holds the light bulb while we turn the chair. All the ususal disclaimers apply, not responsible, proceed at your own risk, bring your own marshmellows [Image: biggrin.gif]

[This message has been edited by Pete D (edited 03-26-2004).]
Pete Dunham

Hybridbird Offline
Posting Freak
Quote:Originally posted by Pete D:
Beats the hell out of me [Image: biggrin.gif]

If I had to guess based on what I do for a TPS, I'd say the + side of your meter goes to
VAF signal 43 and the - side goes to signal return 46. Key has to be ON

Please understand that I'm electrcally challenged and at my house someone holds the light bulb while we turn the chair. All the ususal disclaimers apply, not responsible, proceed at your own risk, bring your own marshmellows [Image: biggrin.gif]

[This message has been edited by Pete D (edited 03-26-2004).]

He said...."turns the chair" LOL ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ROTFLMAO!!! [Image: biggrin.gif]
I was having a shitty day til now......thanx Pete!

------------------
"Finch....get the f*ck away from that fikas......that is a jizz-free fikas!"
"Finch....get the f*ck away from that Ficus......that's a jizz-free Ficus!"

rairbird Offline
Pete, its not your electrical knowledge that we are after. It is your decency with the sharing of your resources, and the obvious conscious effort that you so generously offer to help the T/C challenged that is your hallmark. I know that I could never do what you do. God bless you brother.

phyxius Offline
curtosy of turboford and merkencyclopedia

Today I rescued a large VAM(87-88 TC) that I had miss adjusted a while back trying to get better performance out of it.
Tools needed.
1- Digital volt/ohm meter.
2- 7mm socket.
3- Phillips screwdriver.
4- Flat tip screwdriver.
5- Air/fuel gauge or "Engine check light".
6- Running engine in good tune.
7- Patience.
Procedure
First we need to bring the wiper back to the original position if it had been repositioned, using the digital volt meter back prove the VAF pin(3rd from the front) and the Signal return pin(1st from the front) at the VAM connector. Loosen the Phillips screw that locks the wiper down in position by holding the flapper door. Then turn the key to run with out starting the engine, adjust the wiper so the digital volt meter reads .246v with the flapper door fully closed then tighten the Phillip's screw to lock down the wiper in place recheck to make sure it still reads .246v.
Second we need to restore the flapper door spring tension, using the 7mm socket loosen the bolt that holts down the cog wheel lock wire just a turn, then if the flapper door is real loose tighten the spring tension clock wise by holding the locking wire away from the cog wheel and turning it with the flat tip screw driver at the teeth till you get some tension. This will let the engine start so the final adjustments can be done. At this point make sure there is no foreign objects inside the VAM and connect it to the turbo inlet hose and start the engine. Chance the engine idle is going to be erratic (wiper moves back and forward rapidly) this means the flapper door spring tension is too loose, holt the cog wheel lock wire away from it and start tightening the spring tension by turning the wheel clockwise till the erratic idle smoothes out, still you need to hit the flapper door with your finger and see if it settles right away, if the erratic idle continues tighten the cog wheel some more till the flapper door settles right away or when the engine is first started it goes in to a smooth idle.
About this time look at your air/fuel gauge and see if your engine is running rich (engine should
be fully warmed up) continue to tighten the cog wheel till the Air/Fuel gauge starts moving up
and down this means that the computer is finally able to control the air fuel mixture.
The same can be done with the engine check light (87-88 TC) as soon as the computer detect
the rich condition it will turn the engine check light "ON" when the engine check light goes out
again the computer is able to control air fuel mix at idle and the rich condition has been
eliminated. This indicates a properly adjusted VAM at idle and most likely like mine it will work
great at all throttle positions.
If you do not have a Air/Fuel gauge or engine check light it is going to be hard to tell when the
VAM is properly adjusted since you will have to do adjustments and then run KOER till the
computer gives you 11 or the 42 code is gone.
Also if the flapper door is too tight loosen the cog wheel counter clockwise till you get a rich
condition on the Air/Fuel gauge then starttightening it clockwise till the rich condition clears out.
Hope this helps out some one out there that like me screwed up a good VAM.
Note: I tried this procedure with the original 85 SVO VAM that went bad, Iwas able to fix the
rich condition but not the erratic idle, it would eitherrun rich or the idle would get real bad.
So keep in mind that there are some that are not possible to be rescued