North American Turbocoupe Organization

88 TC will not start
Jeff K Offline
Administrator
During the 10 sec it runs with the VAM plugged in, measure VAM voltage (BK/W to W/BK wires)... it should be a little under 1 volt. Also, for the heck of it, check that you have the correct VREF of 5.0 V at the VAM (orange to BK/W).
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Craig Offline
OK here is a little history on my problem http://natomessageboard.com/ultimatebb.p...1;t=020684

Ok now I bought a new VAM cause i could start the car w/ it unpluged and as soon as I pluged it in the car would stall right out,Well the new one does the same thing so I looked at mt plugs and they where very bad looking so I replaced the plugs and wires with new ones car still will not start but will start with the VAM unpluged but as soon as I plug in the VAM car dies.
So now I would like to check my fuel pressure but unsure on how to do it. What would I need to do this and where do I hook it up at (anyone have a pic) or am I looking in the wrong place.
I guess I dont understand how the car will run (start) with it unpluged but as soon as I plug it in the car stalls and its a new one. Down the line what else does the VAM do?

Once again thanks for your time on the problem.
YEAH!!

TurboCoupe50 Offline
Posting Freak
I'm doubting a fuel pressure problem would be keeping it from running, with the VAM connected... Are you sure the catalytic converter isn't stopped up????
1988 Turbo Coupe331 AOD

1972 Comet GT

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed

Pete D Offline
Administrator
What was the result of checking the cam timing as suggested in the prior post?

There is a how to article on running the fuel system diagnostics in the Technical Articles, link is at the top of this page.
Pete Dunham

dpmeeks Offline
Like pete said, ck. your cam timing, if thats ok then you need a fuel press. gauge, i bought mine at harbor freight tools for about 15 bucks and you hook it up to the shrader valve on the fuel rail its just to the right of the intake manifold it should have a black cap on it similar to the one on your tires.
Silver- 87, 5-speed,

Craig Offline
Timing is right on. I under stand that the VAM gives a computer a signal and depending on where the flap is is how much gas the computer gives the motor. Now is it possable that when I plug the VAM the motor runs too lean and stalls out?
What else would cause the car to stall when I plug the VAM in(remember the VAM is new) The car will idle for ever without the VAM pluged in but as soon as I plug it in it stalls with in 10 secs.
And this is the 2nd new VAM I returned the 1st one cause it did the same thing so I thought it was bad frome the factory.

Thanks again for all of your input
YEAH!!

Craig Offline
OK update!!!
I got a fuel press. gauge and when I turn the KOEO to build press. I get nothing, When I start the car with the sprout out I get about 15 psi of press. and when the car stalls (within 10 secs) the press. drops to 0 in less the a sec.
So shouldnt I be getting about 55 psi at idle or is that running and about 25-30 psi with the KOEO?
Well I guuess its time for a new fuel pump.
YEAH!!

Pete D Offline
Administrator
You should run the Fuel system diagnostics exactly as the article direct. It will tell you the needed pressures.
http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/Fuel_...ostics.htm
Pete Dunham

dpmeeks Offline
craig, like pete said follow the diagnostics, basically you should get about 40 psi KOEO and it should rise 1 to 1 with boost press. Your press. shouldnt drop off though, you may have something else wrong is why you should follow the diagnostics. id say its your fuel pump though. I just put a new one in mine a couple of days ago not a bad job to do at all..
Silver- 87, 5-speed,