North American Turbocoupe Organization

tire size q/a
dd88T/C Offline
Here is what I am after. This car was built to replace my Honda and go on long interstate trips. (Girly moved away for college). I want a taller/wider tire for the rear, but do not want to spend an arm and a leg. After doing some searching, it seems that 245/50/16 tires are a decently priced tire. Are they taller than my standard 225/60/16's. I am not sure how to work out the math on these. I know the middle number is a percentage of the width. If someone could give me a numerical formula I can do the math. Right now im guessing 60% of 225mm = 135 mm tall, and 50% of 245 = 122.5 mm tall. If this is the case, I guess I need to find a different tire for the rear. I just want to lengthen the gears on the interstate so I can cruise at a lower rpm at 75-80 mph.
'88 tc daily driver
.48 t3, stinger fmic, boblog, ebay twin piston BOV, 3" stinger dp, 3" exhaust shop straight pipe to the axle, ported/knifed lower, gutted upper, 3" intake tube & k/n filter, kirban fpr (42 psi), walboro 255, gillis @ 22 psi, pony wheels
shelf:
sn95 tb, rr, zeitronix zt2 wideband, magnaflow muffler/turndown, MAF swap, tune

UglyBird85 Offline
I'm not the greatest with math, but if you would like I can post a pic of my tires i just bought for my truck. They're firestone firehawk indy 500's. Nice tires. They grip pretty good too. My truck used to be scary on wet pavement and impossible to catch traction but with these they just lock and go. They're 275/60r15's. They're on sale at firestone right now until the 28th. I paid $240 for two of them installed. You just have to print the voucher thing from their website.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww334...ST2010.jpg
---Justin

87 Burgundy TC 5spd. K&N Cone filter-Walboro 255HP-.60/.63 Garret T3-Gillis @ 18psi.
SHELF: NPR FMIC-Ford Racing 42# injectors-Tripminder-

dd88T/C Offline
that looks like something im after. only problem is, my rims are 16's, so tires are much more expensive. im not sure if a 275 width will fit on a 7" wide wheel either.
'88 tc daily driver
.48 t3, stinger fmic, boblog, ebay twin piston BOV, 3" stinger dp, 3" exhaust shop straight pipe to the axle, ported/knifed lower, gutted upper, 3" intake tube & k/n filter, kirban fpr (42 psi), walboro 255, gillis @ 22 psi, pony wheels
shelf:

UglyBird85 Offline
but they have 245/255/265 and so on. I got those 275's on my 7.5" rim no problem. They dont bow out or anything. And as far as the price, you'll probably want them thinner than mine so they should be cheaper, maybe?
---Justin

87 Burgundy TC 5spd. K&N Cone filter-Walboro 255HP-.60/.63 Garret T3-Gillis @ 18psi.

natmac3 Offline
Administrator
I like Falken tires.
The Ziex ZE512 does well in all kinds of weather, and grips well for a street tire.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...Sizing.jsp

-n8-
1987tc

dd88T/C Offline
I have always had good luck with Falkens. I am looking at either 235 60 16's or some sort of 255. The 255's are pricy tho.
'88 tc daily driver
shelf:

UglyBird85 Offline
the bf goodrich radial t/a's are nice too. About $100 a tire. Was deciding between those and the firehawks.
---Justin

dd88T/C Offline
BFG makes great tires. I was considering a drag radial, but I want something that will last for a while on long trips.
'88 tc daily driver
shelf:

Pete D Offline
Administrator
In the past I have run 235 X 55 X 16, a +1 tire. It was a reasonable compromise of a little wider tread, little lower sidewall height and still accurate speedo readings. But it is a hard size to find.
Pete Dunham

dd88T/C Offline
I am actually looking for a wider tire and a taller sidewall so that it calms down on the interstate. I have found 235/60/16's for reasonable prices. I think that may be my ticket. I would like something wider, but there is not a taller tire (if my math is correct) in a 245 or 255 for anything close to reasonable in price. This is mainly for the rear tires. As long as I can get a comparrison of how far my speedo is off, I can make that mental adjustment.
'88 tc daily driver
shelf: