North American Turbocoupe Organization

a4ld trans fluid*** blown tranny***
TurboZeke418 Offline
Just thought of a couple more questions. If I cannot do the T5 swap. Can I get any A4LD or does it have to be made specific for a turbocoupe. I know when I went to Autozone and got the filter today, it wasn't the same trans filter. We found out that the trans filter in 87 and earlier is different and actually called a C3 in their system. Maybe just some wrong info on their part. Do I also need to get a specific torque converter? Is there a better trans then an A4LD that will bolt right up with no rewiring? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
1988 Turbo Coupe, Auto, Loaded everything including leather and Moonroof, 50,300 original miles, garaged since new, MINT condition
1994 Lincoln TownCar- Seafoam Green and beige leather, another beautiful find that couldn't be passed up!
2003 Dodge Durango SLT+ 4x4

THUNDERPINTO Offline
If you can find a bellhousing, a C4 would be great. You would loose some gas mileage due to no OD. but it will hold up fine.
2 87 TC's one is a Watkins Glen
88 TC no engine or interior,a no rust project
66 mustang coupe,71 triumph spit
52 Dodge powerwagon(s)
79 TC powered Pinto
99 Harley Roadking
73 750 Norton Commando Combat

TurboCoupe50 Offline
Posting Freak
Quote:Originally posted by TurboZeke418:
Can I get any A4LD or does it have to be made specific for a turbocoupe. I know when I went to Autozone and got the filter today, it wasn't the same trans filter. We found out that the trans filter in 87 and earlier is different and actually called a C3 in their system. Maybe just some wrong info on their part. Do I also need to get a specific torque converter? Is there a better trans then an A4LD that will bolt right up with no rewiring? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Auto Hole doesn't know what they are talking about, all '87-'88s got the A4LD, C3 was in '86-earlier.

AFIK only A4LDs for the 2.3 will fit.

The 2.3 Mustang A4LD is similar, but uses a different valve body as only O/D is controlled by the EEC. In the TC version O/D and lockup are both controlled by the computer. A freind was able to use my TC A4LD in a Stang, by swapping the valve body and the connector plug/wiring from his fried Stang tranny. Possibly the Stang tranny could be used as is with just connecting the lockup function from the EEC, I really dunno..

BTW I may have the functions reversed, the Stang may operate lockup instead of O/D... But it definatly only operates one function, whereas the TC has two... Also possibly the later Stang A4LD were different, I'm refering specifically to a '88.

As already mentioned you could go to a C4 but you'll need a driveshaft as the A4LD is longer than any other tranny used in the Birds(turbo or not). Probably a T5 D/S will work but I'm not sure(C3 and C4 are differnt lengths also[from each other]). Also 2.3 specific bellhousings arn't common for the C4. I wouldn't want one anyway, as it has no O/D. OH yea, you'd also need a shifter from a '86-earlier as the shift pattern is different(seven detents vs six)... Otherwise you'll have to cobble something up, and your TC is far too nice to do so...
1988 Turbo Coupe331 AOD

1972 Comet GT

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed

J.C. Offline
Well, to clarify:

Late 89 - up A4LD had both ECU controlled Lockup and OD. The one I have has both. I have a late 89 stang.

C4's are the way you want to go if you want to stay auto. Plenty of aftermarket support for the tranny.

The only trick - getting the bellhousing. For that - you'll have to check car-part.com and search there.

You can use a 2.0 Bellhousing, but you'll need some stepped dowel pins to make it fit.

You'll also need a driveshaft from a t-5 fitted tbird or stang.

Shifter - you have many choices - stock or B&M racheting.

Fab up a gillis style valve and you can run 15 psi or more....

If you are doing a high amount of highway driving, I would seriously suggest you find a another 8.8 rear with either a 3.08 or 3.27. With the 3.73 you have now it'll pull real nice off the line, but on the highway it WILL be annoying. Also you'll see more dollar bills floating out of your wallet as the car will become more thirsty.

bryanb Offline
I bought my '88 from the original owner, who had the tranny (A4LD) rebuilt under warranty, at around 20,000 miles. It would take a minimum of 45-60 seconds when you - went into Reverse, or Drive From Park - for it to 'happen'. But otherwise shifted fine through the gears when driving it.

From what I remember it was a fairly common problem, or bug in this 'new' transmission at the time (Ford's first electronic tranny?) Something about excess metal in the valve body that pumped the ATF around to shift things.
Bryan Berndt
bryanb at bryanb.net
1988 Turbo Coupe, Automatic, all options except leather and sunroof
Cat back dual exhausts, No Muffler.

petedeetz Offline
I did a t-5 swap in my auto car three years ago and it wasthe best thing i could have done i bout a donor car for 500.00 and never looked back it is best to have the whole car their are lots of parts you cant go to ford and buy .. it cost about three hundred more than a my second rebuild in 2 years had all of tha same probs dont waist your time with the rebuild wait till you can do the swap you will be throwing money away like i did..
Pete Deetz
1988 gills valve,t-5 swap,k&n cone,cold air induction,all options,new leather,purple interior lights,new headlights, 3.73.11 gears,new paint, new fogs,15 p.s.i.,PIC IN SHOW ROOM.

J.C. Offline
That is NOT the sign of a properly rebuilt tranny. It should take seconds to shift. They probably did a soft parts rebuild. External oil cooler is MANDATORY if you want to keep your A4LD alive...