North American Turbocoupe Organization

Inertia Switch question / issue
powered by turbo Offline
I was driving home from work today, cruising down the highway and the car died. I ran all the checks I could on the side of the road. Everything seemed good to go except the pump wasn't running. I checked the inertia switch and it had indeed cut the power to the fuel pump. I reset the switch and it is working fine now. The weird thing is that I didn't even hit a bump, I was just cruising.

Has anyone ever seen this, and is this a sign that this thing is going bad? I'm assuming that if they are bad this part is discontinued from ford? Or is this same switch in use in a lot of cars?
1986 Mustang SVO

Ralph H. Offline
Same as other fords,get a mustang one.Its just a switch wired inline.I've never seen one go bad.With the car running,wiggle the wires one at a time,if car dies the wire going into connector is bad or loose.good luck!long live boost!

DonH Offline
Posting Freak
Inertia switches go bad all the time from internal rust causing intermittent problems that are difficult to track down. You are lucky finding the problem so easily.
1987 TC stock except ATR 2.5"
1983 Pontiac Transam T-top 5.7 T56 [email protected] top speed: 176mph
1978 Fairmont 2.3 4-spd Big-top S/W
1946 Willys CJ2A 134.2ci L4 No-top

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Quote:Originally posted by DonH:
Inertia switches go bad all the time from internal rust causing intermittent problems that are difficult to track down. You are lucky finding the problem so easily.
Don is correct... not only internal rust, but on TCs, the switch carries the full fuel pump current instead of just the 100 mA or so FP relay current as in most other Fords. Good chance you will find the electrical connector nearly melted off the switch.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

charles88tc Offline
Had the same problem in mine also. My dumba$$ replaced the fuel pump, and after that no start. Ended up the pump was good (both of them ) just the inertia switch.
88 tc 5sp, Gillis, K&N on vam, Redneck cat back exaust (nothing from the cat back) 220,000 mile short block. Rebuilt 86 head and cam.