North American Turbocoupe Organization

AL4D to T5
abolt357 Offline
I've been collecting parts to convert my 88 AL4D to T5. I've got everything except for the tranny and cross member. My question is what transmission I should look for? IE what is the "World Class"? Is there a difference between the 87-93 2.3 T5 mustangs and the TC T5's? I've also read that the cam is different in the auto vs. manual TC's, is this true? One more thing, will the cross member from a mustang GT fit correctly?

Thanks
NATO member

88 TC (5 spd swap, 2-1/2" ATR duals, 3.73 LR, 255 Walbro, Adjustable FPR, Gillis)
88 Ranger XLT(2.3 naturally!)
01 Taurus 24V

Pete D Offline
Administrator
I think the auto crossmember MAY be different than the manual one. I don't know about the GT crossmember.
See this thread for more info. http://www2.turboford.org/nato/ubb/Forum...02309.html.

------------------
NATO Member
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, Main TC with K&N, 3"DP to 2.5"duals through Dynamax, Ric valve at 17+ and disconnected KS. Elite Bodega 16" chrome wheels. Autometer pod w/ A/F and Vac/boost gauges.140 mph Motorsports Speedo New engine: Total Seal rings and TRW pistons, ported and polished head w/ cc'd chambers,1.59"exhausts, SS valves, gutted upper, knife edged lower, A-230 cam, Race Engineering Adj Cam Sprocket, Crowlers, ARP head studs, and rod bolts. Walbro 255 HP pump and Kirban adj FPR, T-3. Centerforce II, KB subs and jack rails.
Pete Dunham

TurboCoupe50 Offline
Posting Freak
The '87-'93 4cyl Mustang T5 is identical to the Turbo Coupe tranny. All T5s from '86-up are World Class, which mainly refers to the trannys internal parts.

I believe a crossmember from a Mustang T5 car will work as well. On a TC it makes no difference if it is the double hump cross member or not. As far as I know the only really odd ball cross member is the one for the A4LD.

------------------
Two 1988 Turbo Coupes ..... yea one of em has a 5.0 And runs 13.1s
1988 Turbo Coupe331 AOD

1972 Comet GT

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed

abolt357 Offline
Thanks for your help, I'll continue in parts procurement now; tranny and crossmember are all that's left to find.

Thanks,
Andy

------------------
NATO member

88 TC
NATO member

88 TC (5 spd swap, 2-1/2" ATR duals, 3.73 LR, 255 Walbro, Adjustable FPR, Gillis)
88 Ranger XLT(2.3 naturally!)
01 Taurus 24V