North American Turbocoupe Organization

rear window trim
kevcoheat Offline
Banned
anyone know where i can get new trim for the rear window (very back) and the little clips that hold them on?

kevcoheat Offline
Banned
if i can't get it new any tricks on getting it back on as some of the clips were rusted and no good anymore

Lightning Fast Fords Offline
Here's my best suggestion. Having two 1988's I've looked at this in a side by side manner.

(1) Car one (My 5-Speed) has the OEM rear glass trim...and it's cracked on the lower edges..and basically looks like hell.

(2) Car two (My automatic) has had a rear glass replacement along the way...and the OEM hard trim was replaced with a wide rubber molding...that will not only seal better..ir looks better anf it's a cheap and permanent resolve.

Any glass installer worth his/her salt is going to have this on hand in bulk...and it's not something that's gong to cost you and arm and a leg.

I checked with my favorite glass place...and the whole process , labor included will only be about $30.00 out the door in as many minutes.

Once my 5-speeds body work is completed and the replacement hood and trunk lid is in place , not to mention the painting is completed..it's going to get exactly this same treatment. Trust me..the look is not only great...the function is better than the OEM design.

------------------
1988 Crown Vic Interceptor (351W Modified)

1994 F-150 Lightning

2000 Crown Vic LX (Handling and Performance Package)

1988 Turbo Coupe Thunderbird 5-Speed (Cloth Interior)

1988 Turbo Coupe Thunderbird (Automatic for now) (Leather Interior and Sunroof)

1994 F-150 Lightning

1968 Torino GT Fastback 351W / C4

kevcoheat Offline
Banned
thanx sounds like a winner to me, beats sanding and painting and maybe not even get it back on

Lightning Fast Fords Offline
Quote:Originally posted by kevcoheat:
thanx sounds like a winner to me, beats sanding and painting and maybe not even get it back on

No problem , I examined the prospects of finding OEM stuff from a donor car too...but that was prior to buying the automatic TC a couple of weeks ago.

My rational changed immediately when I saw how conformal the aftermarket molding looked..and performed. The icing on the cake was the condition of what's out there..and IMHO , it will put you back to square one in short order...kinda reminds me of doing a dashpad swap to something thatis only 1/2 as baked as what you have already.

My theory is this...if it's not a repair that's going to be a total repair with long term staying power? why put forth the effort to build in another problem in rather short order , that will only have to be addressed again.

1994 F-150 Lightning

1968 Torino GT Fastback 351W / C4

2birdsinthefalls887 Offline
kevoheat,
The 87's had the metal trim as did the early 88's, then Ford went to the (modular) rubber trim for the rest of the run for our 88's. The clips for the 87's are hard to find, I know, I went to several glass shops and found they ONLY fit 87 Thunderbirds,that's all! And no longer available from Ford. I had my parts guy locate me some, a dealer in New Castle Pa. had 24, I bought 10, you need 14. I hope this helps.
87 T/C,base, 5spd, bright red metalic, 136,000 miles. My pride and joy of the fleet.
88 Turbo Coupe,loaded 104,000,
88 Turbo Coupe,Fully loaded,
Been to Carlisle 2002,2003, 2004,2005,2006,2007
And damn proud to be a NATO member!

mmedic50 Offline
The window trim on the 88's is called encapulated glass, to replace one of those rear glasses completely costs close to $1000.00. I about had a cow when they told me that. A trip to a parts yard cost me $40.00 for a rear glass with defrost and $100.00 at the glass shop to put it in was a better option.
1988 TC 5 speed, Dark Blue
Build date 5/88.
140 mph Ford Motorsport Speedometer
Tripminder
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Kirban Adj. Fuel Pressure Regulator
K&N Air Filter
Gillis Boost Control Valve
New rebuild- .030 over pistons.
SS valves(1.89/1.59).
Center Force Stage II clutch.
ARP head studs.