North American Turbocoupe Organization

My TC Stranded Me...
Keman Offline
If the fuel pump turns on when the engine cranks, the distributer is rotating which means the timing belt isn't broken and the TFI module is at least intact enough to fire.

No start? Check the basics, check the basics, check the basics. Check the fuses!

Check for spark- pull the coil wire and see if it jumps to the ground when you lay it next to the fender while cranking.

If that works, check for fuel- pull the big plastic hose off the T on the intake that the fuel pressure regulator line goes to, and spray about a second of starting fluid into that hole. Crank the engine and if it fires up and dies, fuel is your problem.

If that doesn't work, check timing.

If that doesn't work, pound on the engine and scream like a mad man.
Eric "Keman" Uratchko
1990 Mustang 5.8 GR-40
1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 5sp
2005 Audi S4 Avant MT6

Kev Offline
Posting Freak
I would check to see if you popped the inertia switch in the trunk. I did this in my wife's old TC once while taking off pretty hard. I would also make sure you still have a timing belt.
Kev
1988 TC 5spd

AerobirdMotorsports Offline
Banned
He never said that the if the dizzy does or doesn't rotate. I still say it's the timing belt.

thundr306 Offline
I will guess the roller pin on the distributor gear. Happened to me twice on my 85.
FOR SALE

1987 Turbo Coupe
306, FI, Hellion turbo kit, tubular front end, coilovers, Baer brakes

Ralph H. Offline
I think aliens were involved.Conspiracy.

Gulfdiver Offline
should be able to peek inside the timing belt cover and see if it's missing or broke.. but I would bet on timing belt also... just my uneducated 2 cents..
!!!!! MINE ALL MINE !!!!!
1988 TBird Turbo Coupe Mach 1 Special Edition
K&N airfilter; Spec Stage 3.. More mods to come!

Huey866 Offline
Posting Freak
He can peak in to see if its broken, but he will have to line the crank up on TDC to see if the cam has jumped time or not.
87 TurboCoupe - silver, 137k, 5-speed, 3.73, 5 lug swap, MM... Evertything, 03 Cobra Brakes, Griggs Subframe connectors, Bo 1.5, Big Valves, massaged 79 turbo head, Essy Cam Gear, Boblog + Elbow, .63 T-3, Stinger Exhaust/FMIC

Currently dreaming about ball-bearings and Pimps

ArkieRebel Offline
Survey Says... The guy I bought my TC from was not the best in electrical wiring. My car has a MSD box, and one of the wires that goes from that to a connector came loose. He has two spade connectors stuck into the factory connector with nothing to actually hold them in. My battery doesn't have a hold down clamp, and when I took off the battery must have slid back and hit this connector knocking it loose, and thereby killing the engine. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. It's running as good as... well, as good as it was before...
1987 Thunderbird - 212 MPH at Talladega

AerobirdMotorsports Offline
Banned
Hey, No fair! You didn't say it had an MSD box! Wink

ArkieRebel Offline
Sorry... I was so aggravated when I made this post that I could barely see straight. The car stalled on me, and after I'd been sitting for about 30 seconds an Explorer damn near rear ended me. I had my flashers on. He slammed on brakes and swerved at just about the last possible minute to avoid hitting me. Then I called a buddy to come get me. He had a couple of things to do and he'd be right there. About an hour later I called to check on him and he had forgotten about me. And it was a little cool and windy last night in the mountains of Fayetteville, Arkansas. To make matters worse, when I got home I had to stay up and do laundry and iron my clothes for work today because my wife is out of town. I guess I can be grateful tht my cell phone battery didn't die. It's about the only thing I had going for me...
1987 Thunderbird - 212 MPH at Talladega