North American Turbocoupe Organization

Noise from tranny/clutch...
Noname
Unregistered
Aside from the other problems I got, I've noticed it started making this wierd noise like something is vibrating near the clutch area. It never does it under normal driving. But after you floor and go through a gear or 2, when you push the clutch in, you hear this wierd noise like something is vibration or rubbing together. When you let the clutch out it goes away. It doesn't matter whether it's in nuetral or a gear, it's just when the clutch is in. When the noise occurs, it kinda feels like the clutch pedal is vibrating or something when you let it in/out slowly. Also, if you rev it up while the clutch is in, the noise seems to go away. When I changed the clutch about 8k miles ago, I only changed the clutch/pressure plate and the clutch fork. The flywheel didn't look like it needed a resurface, the input bearing shaft collar didn't look bad and the pilot bearing didn't look bad so I didn't change any of that.

I find it weird how it will not do anything under normal driving, but as soon as you give it a workout through a couple gears or so, it will do it.

------------------
1988 TurboCoupe - 5 Speed
5"x8" K&N / Cold Air Intake, Gillis Valve @ 18 psi, HKS Super Sequential BOV, 3" DP, 3" Cat, Dual 2.5" UltraFlos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Autometer Boost/Vac & Air/Fuel Gauges

Dan E Offline
Posting Freak
You didn't mention changing the Throw Out Bearing. If you didn't...that's one possibility.

------------------
Dan Eaves
88TC 5spd, Crower 5.5" Sportsman Rods, Short Wiseco Pistons bored .030" Over, Ported Head with Polished Combustion Chambers, Gutted & Polished Upper, Ported & Polished Lower, Polished T/B, Ported E6, SVO T3 .63AR Turbo, Bosch Bypass Valve, 3" DP w/No Cat, 2 1/2" DynoMax single cat back w/DynoMax Super Turbo Muffler, RR Cam, K&N in Fenderwell, Gillis Boost Valve, Centerforce I Clutch, Removed A/C, Polished Wheels, Polished Valve Cover, Polished Crank and W/P Pulleys, Walbro 255LPH HP Pump, Kirban Adj FPR, and the DAMN Heater Core is new too !

NATO MEMBER (Vice Chairman...if it's a vice...I deal with it)
Dan Eaves
88TC 5spd Vermillion Red, Polished...everything...

Noname
Unregistered
Yea, I changed that too, forgot to mention it. I used CF clutch/pp and a CF T.O. Bearing

------------------
5"x8" K&N / Cold Air Intake, Gillis Valve @ 18 psi, HKS Super Sequential BOV, 3" DP, 3" Cat, Dual 2.5" UltraFlos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Autometer Boost/Vac & Air/Fuel Gauges

Dan E Offline
Posting Freak
Checked the clutch fluid level ? There is a process to bleed this system but I don't have it.
Dan Eaves
88TC 5spd Vermillion Red, Polished...everything...

Noname
Unregistered
Well, I'm pretty sure it's never been changed. I reguarly check it to maintain it at the correct level but I've never had to add any fluid or anything.

------------------

RDOG Offline
Posting Freak
I had the same problem. It sounded like it was the throw out bearing, but I had just replaced the entire clutch with a Auto zone clutch kit. However the clutch kit does not come with the pilot bearing. That is the bearing that is in the back of the crank. pull the trans and I'll bet that bearing is toast.
1986 Turbo Coupe. Boport StageIII head, Boport 2.1, Performance Techniques 50 trim hybird, StageII.63, stinger 3" exhaust, Phenolic spacer, Boglog header,NPR FMIC intercooler setup, kirban fpr, bigrmotorsports fuel rail, diablo water meth kit, CAI, remote mount TFI, CHE rear adj control arms, MAC girdle, 8.8 rear disc, aluminum drive shaft, H&R lowerings springs Tbird Turbo Specific, y MAS!!

Noname
Unregistered
Well, If that was the case, wouldn't it make noises all the time? I find it wierd how it will not make any noises until you get on it through some gears.

------------------

Ford Tech Offline
I have to agree with RDOG.

------------------
85 TC
92 5.0 T-Bird
92 5.0 Tbird
91 3.8 SC Tbird
89 3.8 SC Tbird

Big Boost Daddy Offline
Ok guys think about it. When the clutch is engaged,the disc, pressure plate, flywheel,input shaft,crankshaft and pilot bearing are all locked together and turning the same speed. The only time the pilot bearing spins is when you push the clutch in. So if you have a vibration only when the clutch is disengaged I would look at the pilot as being the number one culprit.

------------------
Son's car:88 Turbocoupe 5spd,pitifully stock
My car:88 Mustang GT 5spd,1 5/8" headers, hiflow h-pipe w/cats,2 1/2" dynomax cat-back,Hurst shifter,K&N panel,ponies,Cervinis Stormin Normin hood,3.27 gears
Son's car:88 Turbocoupe 5spd,pitifully stock
My car:88 Mustang GT 5spd,1 5/8" headers, hiflow h-pipe w/cats,2 1/2" dynomax cat-back,Hurst shifter,K&N panel,ponies,Cervinis Stormin Normin hood,3.27 gears