North American Turbocoupe Organization

More exhaust questions
unclefalter Offline
Hi there,

I need some input on my exhaust, which is being done this week. I have a mechanic I know doing custom work for me on this, and what he's come up with is basically as follows:

2.5" downpipe, split to two mufflers, out as two tailpipes.

His rationale is the turbo on my car, being an IHI, only has 2.5" anyway, so going to 3" doesn't do anything? Does this make sense? Also does having two mufflers make any sense at all from performance standpoint?
88 TC 5spd - Black/Raven

Pete D Offline
Administrator
The advantage in going to a 3" dP is the pressure differential it contributes to. Pressure differential is what causes flow. Granted, it may not be as critical for an IHI, but when you get a taste of the performance potential, there might be a T3 (or bigger) down the road Big Grin
Pete Dunham

unclefalter Offline
Thanks Pete..

So does single/dual exhaust matter? And having two mufflers?
88 TC 5spd - Black/Raven

RMartin Offline
I have a question to build on this, as I consider my future exhaust.

a single 3" full exhaust is enough for a significant improvement, right? from what I understand going to a dual 2.5" is mainly for looks/sound?

Ryan H Offline
Posting Freak
In a nutshell:

The duals are certainly for looks, but as long as you have a 3" downpipe, you're not going to outflow either of said exhaust systems without extensive mods.
'88 TC Smile Walbro 255HP, Stinger FMIC, PIT BOV, Pro 5.0, Kirban, RR cam, FRPP strut tower brace, T3

chickencoupe Offline
i ran 3" from the downpipe to the muffler, then tapered down to 2.5" , simply because its very tight under the car. the 2.5" will go over the axle and to the bumper. I have read it makes no difference in performance going to smaller pipe after the muffler.
88 turbocoupe, charcoal, red. 255lph, stinger 3' exhaust, gillis valve, a-237, adj. cam pulley, spec 3 clutch.