North American Turbocoupe Organization

Car dies after idling for 30/60 seconds
ryandavkd Offline
So I ran into my first problem with my new 88 Turbocoupe. When I start it up, it starts perfectly fine, idles at 1200rpms for about 30-60 seconds and then sputters out and stalls. When I start it again, it does the same exact thing. I've researched a bit and heard that it could be the Idle Air Control, or the MAP sensor. I'm not too sure though and I figured this is the best place to look for help. This is my first Thunderbird and my first car in general lol. Any info or help would be appreciated

Kuch Offline
OK, so lot's of smart TC owners on here, let's see what we can do. Does it die when you give it some gas, will it stay running with throttle? you can pull the IAC off and give it a real good cleaning with carb cleaner and a small brush, maybe soak it overnight to loosen the crud in there. You should also check the TPS voltage, as found in the "tech articles" on this site. Should also check timing and your base idle as well. All the how to's found on here as well. Get us some more details and we can help out.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Possible PIP (stator) of TFI intermittent failure? Failing TFI and / or PIP failure sometimes sets a code (code 14 for PIP, code 16 for TFI, but occasionally wont set a code). Even if the CEL is not on, look for CM codes.

If either PIP or TFI have failed use ONLY the Motorcraft replacement parts. Aftermarket PIP and TFI are JUNK.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

fred k Offline
(01-20-2021, 10:03 PM)ryandavkd Wrote: So I ran into my first problem with my new 88 Turbocoupe. When I start it up, it starts perfectly fine, idles at 1200rpms for about 30-60 seconds and then sputters out and stalls. When I start it again, it does the same exact thing. I've researched a bit and heard that it could be the Idle Air Control, or the MAP sensor. I'm not too sure though and I figured this is the best place to look for help. This is my first Thunderbird and my first car in general lol. Any info or help would be appreciated

A lot of abbreviations in the replies that may be confusing for a new owner.  Hell some of them make me go back and look up what they mean.  Over the years I've printed a lot of info. into Adobe format.  I'm attaching a pdf that among other things has a section on acronyms and abbreviations in it.  I'm sure it's in the FAQs section but I couldn't find it.  My $.02 is the IAC.  Good Luck.

Attached Files
.pdf   NATO - Turbocoupe FAQ2.pdf (Size: 59.41 KB / Downloads: 116)
fred l kennedy

ryandavkd Offline
(01-21-2021, 11:54 AM)Kuch Wrote: OK, so lot's of smart TC owners on here, let's see what we can do. Does it die when you give it some gas, will it stay running with throttle? you can pull the IAC off and give it a real good cleaning with carb cleaner and a small brush, maybe soak it overnight to loosen the crud in there. You should also check the TPS voltage, as found in the "tech articles" on this site. Should also check timing and your base idle as well. All the how to's found on here as well. Get us some more details and we can help out.

Yeah the instant I give it a bit of throttle it dies right after. Haven't tried to see how long it will run with constant throttle, will try that later today. How difficult is the IAC to get off?

ryandavkd Offline
(01-21-2021, 04:05 PM)fred k Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 10:03 PM)ryandavkd Wrote: So I ran into my first problem with my new 88 Turbocoupe. When I start it up, it starts perfectly fine, idles at 1200rpms for about 30-60 seconds and then sputters out and stalls. When I start it again, it does the same exact thing. I've researched a bit and heard that it could be the Idle Air Control, or the MAP sensor. I'm not too sure though and I figured this is the best place to look for help. This is my first Thunderbird and my first car in general lol. Any info or help would be appreciated
A lot of abbreviations in the replies that may be confusing for a new owner.  Hell some of them make me go back and look up what they mean.  Over the years I've printed a lot of info. into Adobe format.  I'm attaching a pdf that among other things has a section on acronyms and abbreviations in it.  I'm sure it's in the FAQs section but I couldn't find it.  My $.02 is the IAC.  Good Luck.
Thats extremely helpful, thanks! Yeah i'm new to cars in general and extremely new to TCs so this will help a ton. Ive had a couple people say that it could be the IAC and so that's what i'm betting on

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Clean the IAC with throttle body cleaner and put a drop of oil on the shaft where it enters the solenoid body. If you get a new IAC, get the Motorcraft part only. Aftermarket IAC's are all JUNK.

Been driving EFI Fords for 35 years and never had any IAC issues on the older Fords. I pull them and clean / lube them every couple years. Only IAC issue I ever had was on the 05 Taurus SEL Premium Duratec a few years ago where the IAC developed a nasty 40 Hz howling noise but still controlled the idle perfectly (IAC is PWM controlled with a 40 Hz PWM frequency). I replaced it with a new Motorcraft IAC and it has been fine ever since.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor

JT Offline
Posting Freak
(01-21-2021, 08:40 PM)ryandavkd Wrote: Yeah the instant I give it a bit of throttle it dies right after. Haven't tried to see how long it will run with constant throttle, will try that later today. How difficult is the IAC to get off?

You say the issue occurs the instant you give it throttle but it's not clear if the issue occurs while you're still on the throttle or after releasing.

If you're saying it starts to stall/cut while you're still giving it some throttle, the IAC (Idle Air Speed Controller) will most likely not be your issue. It's only function is to maintain an idle (base or fast idle) as well as act as a dashpot for when the throttle is closed. So if it starts to stall/cut out while you're giving it throttle, then the IAC is pretty much out of the picture as the throttle plate being open overshadows the IAC.

But if you're saying it stall/cut out after you've released the throttle, then it possibly could be the IAC not being able to prevent an under idle speed condition immediately after the throttle is released.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Have you checked fuel pressure?

Any difference if you unplug the IAC 2 pin connector?
Jeff Korn

11 Crown Vic Interceptor

Kuch Offline
I would check the TPS with an analog multimeter to see if it reads good throughout the throttle range, and try unplugging the IAC to see how it reacts. Fuel pressure is also a good item to check if you can.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low