North American Turbocoupe Organization

3G Alternator question...
Kuch Offline
Ok, I have a question on the write up here in the tech articles section, see the paragraph below:

"Now comes the fun part.  Locate the huge taped bundle of wires mid way between the alternator and the starter solenoid.  This is the main wiring junction. The original output wire from the original alternator goes into this bundle.   Use a knife, razor blade, etc. to cut the tape off the bundle. Inside you will find a thick yellow wire with a huge splice into several fuse links at each end.  The yellow wire is the shunt wire for the amp gauge.  Follow the original alternator power output wire to the splice at one end of the yellow wire.  Cut the original power wire a few inches from the huge splice, and connect it to one of the two remaining 10 gauge wires from the alternator.  Be sure to fully solder and tape this connection.  Use a knife or razor blade to remove about ¾” length of insulation from the thick yellow wire near the same end that the alternator power wire is spliced in to.  Strip some insulation from the last 10 gauge wire coming from the alternator, wind it around the bare section of the yellow wire, solder completely, and tape the connection up.  Push the wires all back together, and retape the whole bundle up so it looks more or less like it did. A tie wrap around the whole mess of wires will help hold them together before you tape them up.  Next, tape wrap the bundle of three 10 gauge wires with a good layer of tape, and enclose in split loom to eliminate any possibility of the wires chaffing. Note this is shown in figure five also.  Plug the regulator and stator plugs into the new alternator from the bottom.  Last, securely reconnect the positive battery cable. You are done!"

Does anyone have a pic of this wire bundle and how you connected them? This write up confuses me a little and a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. The connections and cuts on the yellow power wire is what I need to see. Thanks
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Mikey97D Offline
This link is for the kit instructions that is sold by LMR. Does it look similar to what you are doing?
http://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/...rnator.pdf
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

Kuch Offline
Hey Mikey, that is handy with the pics, but the write up here mentions that our cars have more wiring to cut with our Amp gauge compared to the Mustangs. I would love to see a nice pic of the big bundle with the yellow wires spliced up like in the write up, before I start this project. I am saving that instructional though for future reference. Thanks
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Mikey97D Offline
(05-18-2020, 10:27 PM)Kuch Wrote: Hey Mikey, that is handy with the pics, but the write up here mentions that our cars have more wiring to cut with our Amp gauge compared to the Mustangs. I would love to see a nice pic of the big bundle with the yellow wires spliced up like in the write up, before I start this project. I am saving that instructional though for future reference. Thanks
Please document and take pictures when you do yours.  I am sure myself and others would like the notes.  Thanks!
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Follow the output wire coming out the back of the stock alt. The alt output wire ends at a big splice maybe 6" from the alt. The yellow wire comes out of this splice, and the other end of the yellow wire goes to another big splice. These are the 2 splices discussed in the article. From the alt output terminal run one 10 AWG wire to one end of the splice, another 10 AWG wire from the alt output to the other end of the yellow wire, and a third 10 AWG wire from the alt output directly to the battery.

Why not just run a 4 AWG or 6 AWG from the alt output directly to the battery and be done with it? This has to do with the screwy TC electrical system and the stupid amp gauge that never works anyway.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Mikey97D likes this post

Kuch Offline
I could do that, but I actually like the AMP gauge on mine. It works fine for me, so I would like to keep it. I'm sure once I get into the harness I will see where to cut and splice everything. Thanks for some more clarification Jeff.

Huey866 Offline
Posting Freak
I noticed that the big yellow wire terminates into a 5 or 6 wire connection, (look for a rubber isolator where the splice is) then runs over to another bundle of 3 or 4 wires, (same isolator) that then runs up to the starter solenoid.

I simply cut the yellow jumper wire out, soldered 10 gauge and a lug on the two bundles, ran both of them to the starter solenoid. Used 2awg welding cable from the alternator, to a 150amp circuit breaker, to the starter solenoid.
87 TurboCoupe - silver, 137k, 5-speed, 3.73, 5 lug swap, MM... Evertything, 03 Cobra Brakes, Griggs Subframe connectors, Bo 1.5, Big Valves, massaged 79 turbo head, Essy Cam Gear, Boblog + Elbow, .63 T-3, Stinger Exhaust/FMIC

Currently dreaming about ball-bearings and Pimps

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
^^^^ Sounds like an excellent way to do it!
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

vegas_ss Offline
I upgraded to a 3g from PA Performance quite a while back... at that time I bypassed the amp gauge. Let me know how it works out (wiring for the amp gauge) as I may want to connect that up one day.

I've had 2 87 TC's and they both burned up the original alternator harness. The first one took the whole car with it since it happened while parked when my wife took it to work back in the mid 90's. The second one was pretty close to bursting into flames but I happened to be there as my daughter pulled in the driveway with smoke billowing out of the hood. Needless to say, upgrading to the 3g in a 1987 is mandatory! I imagine there aren't too many around with the original alternator setup used in 87. 88 is an upgraded design and I don't think has the same fire hazard as the 87, but 3g is a no brainer upgrade!
1987 TC, 5sp, Boport Stage 3 Head/2.1 Cam
1996 Impala SS, DCM, Borla Cat Back, too much other stuff!!! (SOLD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, 6.2l LS3, Kooks Long Tube, Hi Flo Cats, Mild Cam

Turboterror Offline
I'm in the middle of this swap on my 88 TC and I'm a bit uncertain about the wiring of the 3-10ga wires from the alternator?

The way I understand it is,
#1 is the original power wire off the alt stud. I cut this at about the red line and wire in one of the 10ga wires from the 3G Alt. stud.
#2 is the thick yellow wire. Trim back insulation at about the blue line and wire and solder in another 10ga wire from the 3G Alt. stud
And the third 10ga wire can go to the battery solenoid.

Was hoping someone that has done the swap could confirm I have the right idea here?