North American Turbocoupe Organization

TUBULAR A ARMS
347BIRD Offline
Hi, 
has anyone done tubular lower control arms and could point me in the right direction.... what is it about the ball joints that are diff on the sn95... some a arms have a "raised" ball joint??? I think that's for lowered cars???? Are the steeda x2 ball joints worth spending the extra money on?? 

please help ,, any help,,
1988 Blk T-Bird, 5-spd, Raven int, 3G Alt, K&N conical, Boost controller, ported E6, ported and polished IHI @ 16 psi, 03 Cobra wheels, 255/40/17, 275/40/17, SN95 BBK lowering springs, SN95 Koni struts and shocks, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, SN95 BMR tubular A-arms, Aluminum driveshaft, LED's, 255 LPH 

John B Offline
347BIRD Wrote:Hi, 
has anyone done tubular lower control arms and could point me in the right direction.... what is it about the ball joints that are diff on the sn95... some a arms have a "raised" ball joint??? I think that's for lowered cars???? Are the steeda x2 ball joints worth spending the extra money on?? 

please help ,, any help,,

I have Maximum Motorsports tubular front control arms on my 88TC. Part # was MMFCA -7,8 which is now MMFCA - SN95 I believe. Stock 88TC control arms are the same length as SN95 control arms. The fox body control arms are shorter and will bring your wheels inboard about 1" on both sides. I went with no offset to keep the ball joint in the same location. As far as ball joint thread length goes, when I was doing my research, I came across mixed opinions but I can say that I've had zero issues with the ball joints that came with these control arms. The thread is shorter than stock TC ball joint threads but after three years they have not loosened at all. You must convert to a coilover setup with caster camber plates in order to use these control arms though. There is no perch for a spring on these. This combined with rear tubular control arms and rear coilovers makes the car handle like it's on rails. One other piece of info that I can think of off the top of my head is that the stock snow flake rims will not fit after this. The offset is too great which makes the rim come into contact with the coilover spring. It sounds like a lot but absolutely worth it in my opinion
88 Turbo Coupe: Front mount intercooler, MGW short throw shifter, full coilover conversion, tubular control arms front and rear, svo front brakes, vacuum assist brake swap, manual steering swap, GT35R turbo with external gate, pimpx ecu, 60lb injectors, 3 core aluminum radiator, Boport 1.5 cam, gutted upper, corbeau fixed back seats, and the list goes on.

347BIRD Offline
Thanks for the response! After reading on this site and others I think I will go w/the tubular a arms from BMR. the ones for the 95 are avail w/a spring perch. Hopefully the ball joints work,, imgoing to go with the 'raised' ball joint since those are for the lowered vehicles.. I have BBK lowering springs on my car . thanks again,, ill have to update after I get them installed
1988 Blk T-Bird, 5-spd, Raven int, 3G Alt, K&N conical, Boost controller, ported E6, ported and polished IHI @ 16 psi, 03 Cobra wheels, 255/40/17, 275/40/17, SN95 BBK lowering springs, SN95 Koni struts and shocks, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, SN95 BMR tubular A-arms, Aluminum driveshaft, LED's, 255 LPH 

347BIRD Offline
        Here's my new goodies from BMR and my suspension
raingram70 and Mikey97D like this post

347BIRD Offline
I also have new EBC slotted brake rotors w/redstuff pads!! Cant wait to get all this stuff on the car!!
Mikey97D likes this post

347BIRD Offline
    EBC brake rotors, just in case anybody was curious. EBC makes brake rotors specifically for our cars
Mikey97D likes this post

Kuch Offline
Hey 347, I'm very interested to see how those A arms go in your Bird. Keep us up to date with the install and if you had any issues. Thanks
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

347BIRD Offline
(03-27-2020, 08:55 PM)Kuch Wrote: Hey 347, I'm very interested to see how those A arms go in your Bird. Keep us up to date with the install and if you had any issues. Thanks

I just got the car done and on the ground. I did not run into any issues on the install and it all went pretty well! It sits about 1/4 inch lower up front now. The A-Arms that I bought were from a company called BMR and they have the "raised ball joints". Totally satisfied with my purchase and would recommend this to someone who is thinking about doing their A arms

Kristwitch Offline
I'm running similar control arms except my car is a 1985 so I used 79-93 control arms. my car is lowered too but I didn't get the ones with the raised ball joint
1985 Turbo Coupe:  H&R Race springs, Bilstein HD's, BMR Tubular A arms, Aluminum Driveshaft, Serpentine Belt swap, 3G 130A ALT, Denso A/C swap, Ford Motorsports I/C kit

1984 Mustang SVO - Sun Beaten
1985 BMW 745I
1989 Ford F150
1990 Geo Metro
1993 Geo Metro
2000 Ford Expedition
347BIRD likes this post